rods and reels for bass on the fly, any advise ?

sparks

off to ireland in a few weeks after salmon, but i am also going to have a go at the bass, but my double handed salmon rod is not the right tool for the job. Any advise on lines rods reels would be greatly appreciated, i would asume that anything that resembles a sand eel would work as flys. thanks

off to ireland in a few weeks after salmon, but i am also going to have a go at the bass, but my double handed salmon rod is not the right tool for the job. Any advise on lines rods reels would be greatly appreciated, i would asume that anything that resembles a sand eel would work as flys. thanks

Hi Sparks

If you are going to buy a new outfit you dont need to spend a vast amount of money, Airflo produce a saltwater rod called Blutooth, it is about £59, a would advise a graphite reel, as I have not managed to find a metal reel the wont corode. If you are casting from rocks I would use a weight forward sinking line but cut it off to create a shooting head. Mill ends will do fine. also have a floating line for use with poppers.

Flies; any baitfish pattern and sand eel pattern would work. most importantly fishing in surf or rocks is a line tray, other wise it becomes a pain in the you know what.

Tight lines

Dont go heavier than an 8wt (no need inspite of what poeple will tell you)Use a cortland ghost tip line dear but the best IMO, clouser minnows, decievers,sandell flys

all work if you tie them your self dress them slightly sparcer than a shop brought ones you would use in tropics !

And the line tray is essental and one of the best bits of advice given

Good luck mate

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Hi Sparks

If you are going to buy a new outfit you dont need to spend a vast amount of money, Airflo produce a saltwater rod called Blutooth, it is about £59, a would advise a graphite reel, as I have not managed to find a metal reel the wont corode. If you are casting from rocks I would use a weight forward sinking line but cut it off to create a shooting head. Mill ends will do fine. also have a floating line for use with poppers.

Flies; any baitfish pattern and sand eel pattern would work. most importantly fishing in surf or rocks is a line tray, other wise it becomes a pain in the you know what.

Tight lines

thanks, I had a look down my local fly shop at hanningfield, but they did not have the rods you suggested. they do a salt range from greys though and a nice grafite reel, and not to dear! i have an old line i can chop so i will try that, thanks for the line tray tip as well. If i catch i will post the photos. B)

Dont go heavier than an 8wt (no need inspite of what poeple will tell you)Use a cortland ghost tip line dear but the best IMO, clouser minnows, decievers,sandell flys

all work if you tie them your self dress them slightly sparcer than a shop brought ones you would use in tropics !

And the line tray is essental and one of the best bits of advice given

Good luck mate

thanks, just one little questoin, the length of the rods, i was advised to keep it short in the 8 ft range would that be correct?

thanks, just one little questoin, the length of the rods, i was advised to keep it short in the 8 ft range would that be correct?

I cant see why! Mine is a 9'6" and Turns a fly over a treat. one of the problems with advice is you get an awnser that suits the person you ask and there style of fishing wave a few about see how they feel the most important bit is, is Has the rod got the spine for the job biggish flys into a wind as a rule.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Sparks

Both my Saltwater fly rods an 8# and a 12# are 9ft whcih is the norm but I can not see whe a 9'6" or even a 10' could not be used especially off an open beach.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Sparks

Both my Saltwater fly rods an 8# and a 12# are 9ft whcih is the norm but I can not see whe a 9'6" or even a 10' could not be used especially off an open beach.

Tony

sorry this has taken a while to get back. I had a chuck around with a 9 ft and a 10 ft rod in flat calm conditions and they both performed very well, unlike my casting, i think i will go for the longer of the two, thanks for all the help.