New Wingham web site

Steve Burke

A gallery is certainly something to think about. I'd want it to be on a separate page so it loads quickly for those like us who have slow connections (one of the downsides of rural living!).

At the moment there are a number of pictures on the news page and on the index to this page. Because Julian had only the ones on the old web site to use there are a lot of duplicates on the index page. As soon as I can find the time I'll be uploading more.

However, I need help from you techies on this please! Currently these index pics all get cropped and only the centre of each pic is shown on the index page. Any suggestions, guys?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I'm new to this sort of thing and additionally have never used Word Press before, so the idea was that Julian would get the site up and running and then he and I would get our heads together when we're both free. The other advantage of doing it in this order is that many visitors would probably come just once and I'll like to get the site itself largely sorted.

However if anyone can save Julian and I time (that we're both very short of) we'd be very grateful. All suggestions are welcome.

Andy wrote:

nice and clear, nothing fancy, nothing doing my head in like flashy lights etc. yeah I like it.

A dark carbon fibre background would maybe make it look a bit more polished/modern. Oh and a gallery too would be nice.

my only problem with it is the lack of meta for search engine optimisation.

as a comparison here is anglersnet meta.

<meta name="description" itemprop="description" content="The UK Online Fishing Magazine - Established 1999 - Carp, Coarse, Sea, Fly and Kayak Fishing." />

<meta name="keywords" itemprop="keywords" content="angler, fish, fishing, anglersnet, fishing chat, fishing forum, fishing advice, uk, carp fishing, sea fishing, coarse fishing, kayak fishing, boat fishing, tackle, bait, reviews." />

<meta property="og:type" content="website" />
<meta property="og:title" content="Anglers Net" />
<meta property="og:description" content="Anglers Net" />
<meta property="og:url" content="http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/" />
<meta property="og:site_name" content="Anglers Net" />
<meta property="og:image" content="https://s0.wp.com/i/blank.jpg" />
<meta property="og:locale" content="en_GB" />
<meta name="twitter:site" content="@anglersnet" />

Here is yours

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1" />
<meta name="generator" content="WordPress 4.2.3" />

Notice in anglers nets meta it has og:type, og:title, og:description, etc

those are for facebook. when someone shares one of your urls this is the information facebook attaches to the little box it creates under peoples posts.

as its wordpress id hazard an educated guess there will be a part in the admin panel that will let you insert meta data

:thumbs:

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Not really familiar with word press, what you will be looking for is something relating to thumbnail settings in the admin panel.

btw, after a quick search it appears it cant be done in the admin panel (regarding the cropping) but can be done in the core php files.

so in functions.php you will be looking for something like this:

add_image_size( 'thumb-small', 160, 160, true );
add_image_size( 'thumb-medium', 520, 245, true );
add_image_size( 'thumb-large', 720, 340, true );

I assume wordpress lets you choose the size of thumbnail to be used. each of the 3 above indicate the dimensions for each (160,160) where it says "true" is to crop the image, set it to false and should be good to go.

always create an original backup of the core files you are changing incase things go wrong.

you may need to upload the images again, then again maybe not.

as for the gallery, wordpress has a good feature called plugins. visit the word press website and see what gallery plugins they have available of which im sure there will be many. after its installed (which should be as easy as download it, upload it via admin panel, enable it) then add a menu item linking to the gallery.

If you need some guidance im never too far away Steve, drop me a pm or what ever :thumbs:

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Thanks very much indeed, Andy.

I'll get Julian to look at this - I'm not going to touch anything in the coding!

There's now a gallery although there's no captions on the photos yet. I'm too busy organising the Wingham Fish-In at present.

Metatags have been done with help from member Nick Gent. Thanks, Nick!

Any further comments and suggestions welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just looking again using my phone and cant seem to find an address, map, directions. Was wondering how far the water is from glasgow.

Cool gallery :thumbs:

According to google maps, 460 miles and would take 7.5hrs...worth a trip though :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music