Nikon D40X back fom Nikon!

Sutton Warrior

Yep, the D40x was back in a week, by my reconing thats 'pritty dam good'. They said at London Camera Exchange how much Nikon have improved their after sales service, if this is a sample . . . :thumbs:

I have had a very quick hose around with it this morning, weather was very pleasant, I am impressed. I can see why 'Ken Rockwell' gets excited over the D40. Its light, tight, feels like a real camera, which it is and takes a good out of the box picture to!

These three pics are streight out of the box!!! I had no time to fiddle = 'Auto' point and shoot!!!

Test shot in shop, impressed with the pop up flash, auto white ballance seemed to be OK.

1shopflashDSC_0120.jpg

Shade and bright sunlight.

1jacksDSC_0123.jpg

sky as a back drop?

1flagtownhallDSC_0131.jpg

OK now I have had some time to fiddle, (no more pics, the weather closed down!) and I was suposed to be working, no one moned that their Taxi was late! The D40X and D40, essentialy the same camera with the 'X' denoting 10million pixels. The menu is suprisingly intuitive to any one with more than one brain cell and perhaps has used a compact with some degree of manual control.

Looking throught the menue this evening, the D40X can be used as a menu driven full control sophisticated P&S, or . . . as a DSLR with all creativness that comes with such a machine. There is an issue (in some quaters) that there is no dedicated 'White Ballance' button. Its avaliable in the menu and full fuctona, same with ISO. In both cases, I was happy to punch up the 'i' button; infomation screen. click on the WB required or ISO. Its that simple, the other fuctions are convetional DSLR knobs and buttons or on the menu, which ever you prefer.

Its interestig that the D40X has pointed me in the right direction to solve a control problem that I have been fighting with on my D80, because of the simlpification of operation.

I'm looking forward to the weekend, if the weather holds, do some more with the D40X, and prove the point on the problem withthe D80.

So, initial reaction for the D40X :thumbs: A great service from Nikon and London Camera Exchange.

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior

Its great to read a good news story when it comes to getting stuff fixed or what have you. The shots look crisp too. Looking forward to seeing more of them then!

Originaly bought as a knock about body for myself, but Hazel is raring to have a go, the 18-70 old style kit lens is a cracker to, ideal match. I now have an 18-200VR, an 18-70 old kit lens and a brand new Sigma 70-300 with focus motor, so its a full mix and match set for eithere D80 or the D40X. All I need to do now is save a few penies for the Sigma 10-20 EX DC HSM, not as fast as I would like at F4-5.6, but its all I want to afford, suspect a lot of shots will be tripod or monopod mounted anyway.

Looking at the weather this weekend . . . :thumbdown: O'well, I will have to watch the F1 motor racing then :whistling:

SW