Rod Strengths

Dom

Hi Everybody,

I posted a topic earlier in the week titled "Some Assistance" - may I take this opportunity to thank those who replied.

My next query regards rods and their stength.

As you may have read in my afore mentioned topic ("Some Assistance") I am due to go off rock fishing at Clacton On Sea in July time.

I haven't yet bought a rod (I am very new to this so I'll be buying a beginners rod and equipment) but how will I know that the rod I do buy will be strong enough to handle the current of the sea, the weight of the fish (if I catch one that is!!...lol) and the strain I impress upon the rod to reel the unlucky fish in towards me??

This might sound like a daft question but it's one that has crossed my mind on more than one occaision. I don't want to buy a rod from an Anglers shop, only for it to snap on me when I catch a 2lb tiddler!!

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dom

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I would like to think that a good tackle shop would sort you out the right gear, if you explain what you intend to do with it.

I would look for a beachcaster rod 4-6oz class (weight it will cast).

12 to 14 ft long.

Make sure it is ringed for the reel you will be using, multiplier or fixedspool.

There is such a wide choice nowadays and the quality at the cheaper end of the market is very good.

Have a look around.Best of luck.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Dom - bye and large, you need to get the rod more based on the amount of weight you intend to toss out and how far you want to toss it.

The newer rods, both carbon (graphite) and the various fiberglass ones, will hold up to very large fish as long as you play them properly and let the spring action of the rod tire them a bit. You can always give line at need to take strain off the rod.

There are obvious exceptions. A very light rod might be a problem with a very large fish but not usually.

Added advantage is the long rods (used for beach work everywhere and for coarse fishing in the UK and Europe) give you a lot of advantage. They will bend a huge amount before even starting to think about breaking.

In fact, I cannot remember ever breaking a rod while fighting a fish at any distance and I've been doing it for well over 50 years. My broken rods have either been thru stupid accidents or when a large fish took the lure right at the boat with only a foot or so of line still out.

Someone else who does beach/pier fishing over there can be more specific but if you get a reel that will work well with 20lb line and a rod to match, you should be more than fine even if you hook into a biggun. The UK rods are mostly rated by Test Curve and I do not have a good feel for that system. Also, if you are not familiar with the use of a heavier "shock leader" at the business end of your line, post that question as well. You will save yourself many breakoffs when casting that way.

As a side note, fiberglass is an excellent rod material - especially for the somewhat rough conditions with fishing the sea shore. Not as "trendy" as carbon but much less expensive and for many applications, as good if not better than carbon.

I use carbon rods for all my lure fishing except for crankbaits - more "feel" to the carbon ones. I also use braid lines since they stretch from zero to maybe 3% while normal mono line will stretch up to 25%. However, for catfishing, carping, and surf fishing, I still prefer glass. If you can, try for e-glass or even s-glass but even regular glass is good stuff.

[ 01 March 2002, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Dom,

As has been said by the guys but here's my own two pennies.

Spinning/float fishing go for a ~10ft rod rated for around 10 - 60g casting wait.

Groundfishing pick a ~12 - 13ft "beachcaster" rated 4 - 8oz. I'd go for up to 8oz if the ground is very rough and snaggy, something with a bit of poke right the way through and not too soft, purely cos of the rocks. But remeber to pull the line by hand for breaks NOT with the rod.

The chances of these rods breaking under the strain of a fish is unlikely and if it does happen you've achieved an angling dream! Any rods I've seen break either had the boot door closed on them or are split on the cast when the rod is under most severe pressure.

Best of luck,

Neil (Anyone remeber me???)

Thanks you guys for the advice.

I'll have a word with the local Angling Shop and get his advice - after all he should know the area pretty well.

Dom