The Rhine at Dusseldorf

Jim Murray

Visited Dusseldorf recently and was fascinated to see a few anglers on the far bank of the 600 yard wide river.

I didn't make it across to see them but am just curious as to what they were fishing for in the immense turgid flow. They appeared to be legering, but what could be the target species? I'm assuming something large :o

Fished quite a bit in the Dusseldorf/Duisberg area Jim.

Was into the match scene quite heavy back then. The Ruhr was very much roach dominated back in the 80's but the other venues were mainly bream (as in what we targeted in the matchs)

The "Big Bertha" style long telescopic rods favoured by the Germans on these venues are really just cruder Bolognese style set ups not really beefed up gear intended for big fish.

Otherwise they hold the normal spread of species in varying proportions depending on the stretch.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

you´ll find that most anglers will fish the Rhein around the Dusseldorf area with Heavy Feeders, the main species being:

Barbel, Orfe, Bream, and Roach

and then a session for the Zander afterwards :-)

I know Budgie fished around the area when fish were plenty, but you can still have a good session now and then on the Rhein.

I take it the fishing has declined there as well Jayson?

My time in Germany saw the Wesser also go down hill.It was mainly the excellent (roach dominated) fishing in the Hameln area that suffered.On the more traditionally bream areas such as up towards Nienburg there was no noticable difference.

It was generally blamed on salt pollution comming from East Germany but I dont know how true this was.

Edited by BUDGIE

you´ll find that most anglers will fish the Rhein around the Dusseldorf area with Heavy Feeders, the main species being:

Barbel, Orfe, Bream, and Roach

and then a session for the Zander afterwards :-)

Wow that sounds good, how big do the barbel run? When I was there it was bowling down & chocolate so I suspect it's almost always like this? Budgie these guys looked like they were sitting it out for something sizable.

All of the rivers in that area have some serious carp in them Jim and its certainly got very popular to fish for them now! There are cats as well but few and far between in that part of the river/