Maggots

Jeffwill

First pint of "white maggots" successfully bred and ready for fishing. One problem, I did rub a bit of red food dye into meat but maggots are almost completely white apart from a bit of their stomach contents. Are there better ways of colouring them or better type of dyes?

Also, they are the usual size and someone tells me you can increase their size by placing in "bran."

Edited by Jeffwill

First pint of "white maggots" successfully bred and ready for fishing. One problem, I did rub a bit of red food dye into meat but maggots are almost completely white apart from a bit of their stomach contents. Are there better ways of colouring them or better type of dyes?

Also, they are the usual size and someone tells me you can increase their size by placing in "bran."

Any ideas anyone?

Any ideas anyone?

Like I mentioned earlier in the thread... You can put some cream in the bran... or corn meal...... makes em juicy... the key to bigger size is the type of fly that lays the eggs. You are looking for Blue bottles. (they lay their eggs at night). Seal the box during the day and put it somewhere cool, then put it out again at night time.

The other important thing... don't riddle the maggots until they have finished eating... make sure they have stopped... then riddle and store.

As for the colour... you may have to try different dyes... make sure you dye the meat first... give it some time to soak in, before putting it out at night for the flies.

Rob J

Palm Springs Ca.

Edited by Rob J

Show me someone who thinks they know everything...

I'll show you a fool...

Leave the area you fish... cleaner than it was before you got there !!!!

Like I mentioned earlier in the thread... You can put some cream in the bran... or corn meal...... makes em juicy... the key to bigger size is the type of fly that lays the eggs. You are looking for Blue bottles. (they lay their eggs at night). Seal the box during the day and put it somewhere cool, then put it out again at night time.

The other important thing... don't riddle the maggots until they have finished eating... make sure they have stopped... then riddle and store.

As for the colour... you may have to try different dyes... make sure you dye the meat first... give it some time to soak in, before putting it out at night for the flies.

Rob J

Palm Springs Ca.

Thanks Rob for the advice - much appreciated. I have now sliced the meat and rubbed red dye into the cracks.