Ledgering on tiny pond

StephenP

Hi Guys,

I'm planning on fishing a very small pond this weekend. I fished it a few weeks ago but on the waggler and was thinking of trying my quivertip rod out on it. The pond is only about 20 yards in width and a few feet deep. Would it be best sticking to the waggler or is it ok to ledger such a short distance?

Thanks,

Stephen.

Can't see any reason why you shouldn't use the tip rod at short range. I sometimes use one with a small maggot feeder at this time of year on a local commercial. It's a handy alternative when it's windy and there's too much of an undertow to allow good presentation on the waggler.

It should work, although whether it will catch you any more fish is another matter. It might. I've got an old quivertip rod from when there was a fashion for very short wands or "winklepickers". You can use it at about 9 feet long or about 6 feet long. In 6 foot mode, it was good for very close range legering, especially useful for small ponds and canals.

i.jpg

2-2.jpg

I'll probably give it a go then. The quivertip rod I'm currently using is about 12 foot but I also have a very old 8ft Winklepicker so maybe I'll dig that out and see if its still usable :) I'll probably take the float rod just incase though :)

Thanks for the advice.

Any of the above, or even a small swingtip rod if wind isn't a problem.

I would think that a light waggler (2 to 4 BB) or a 4 to 5 mtr whip would be better though.

NB. I used to fish a small pond near Ridge in Herts which was created during the war by exploding ammunitions and was approximately 25 ft deep and we used to catch Rudd and small perch on or near the surface even in the winter. :)

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)