New Member in Watford

navybloke

Hi John, I live in the Rickmansworth area, a lot of the waters around here are club waters and not many day tickets. As suggested the Verulam anglers might be a good bet, they are doing half price membership at the mo' so it might be worth having a look. Im in the Tring anglers but it may be a bit too far but we do have water sharing with the VAC and Barnet & district AS plus reduced rate day tickets on the Tring Ressies

Hello John,

My names Chris and I also live in the Watford area

I will try my best to answer some of your questions

Carp Overnighters - Batchwood is an members only water (Uxbridge Rovers) my friend has just taken over the baliffing of the lake,I understand its fishing very well with lots of doubles coming out but as I say you would have to be a member,I would suggest fishing a part of the canal(grove,ovaltine,etc..) Some big Carp and not that fished much ;)

Barbel/Chub - If there was a place I had to go to it would be the gade(Cassiobury)

I've fished this place four or five times in the last couple of months and have caught every time

Not massive fish but always get a few

I live right next to the Colne and have had some lovely Barbel (10lb) and Chub (6lb) but it has not been fishing well now for time??

Sorry can't help you on the Zander as I've never fished for them

Aldenham Reservoir - If someone could put in the time and effort to fish this place if think the results could be massive,Big Perch,Pike,Roach everything just wish I could :(

Anyway hope this helps

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for a really helpful reply, it was very useful. In my first year at Northwood I got a night ticket for Batchworth and never even wet a line in there! I may have to remedy that in 2009. Only snag for summer is that I've heard the water is very weedy and responds best to a lot of bait - not an ideal situation for quick overnighters, but we'll see.

The Gade in Cassiobury intrigues me. It is the stretch in the Park you're talking about, I take it? I've walked it a couple of times and it looks just like a posh chalkstream gone to seed - which I guess it might be. You're saying there's barbel in there?

That really would whet my appetite!

Aldenham - yes, it is mouth-watering, isn't it? But life may just be a little too short for such a campaign!

Thanks again,

John

Hi John,

...our clubs Estate lake (Tykes Water)...just let me know and I will let you have the details...Hope this has been of use to you.

Tight Lines

Keith (BB)

Keith,

That really is a stunning-looking place - if there's decent-sized fish in there, and if I'd be able to fish quick overnighters, then please, please give me the details!!! I presume my e-mail is in my member details, if not I'll try and contact you.

Regards,

John

Keith,

That really is a stunning-looking place - if there's decent-sized fish in there, and if I'd be able to fish quick overnighters, then please, please give me the details!!! I presume my e-mail is in my member details, if not I'll try and contact you.

Regards,

John

Hi John,

I have sent you an Email.

Tight Lines

Keith. leapingfish2.gif

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Hi John,

Yes the Gade at Cassiobury is in the park

Like I said in my last mail not many big Barbel in there but a lot of smaller fish

(Biggest I've had is about 7lb)

Best thing about the place is that you can park in the car park,Takes about five mins to walk to some great swims and its all free!!!!

Have you fished the reservoir at Aldenham???

If you have did how did you get on??

Hello Keith(Boldbear)

Sorry to bother you but your Estate lake does look stunning,I did not know there was a lake there??

If you wouldn't mind could you please send me some information about maybe becoming a member

Thanks Chris

Hi John,

Yes the Gade at Cassiobury is in the park

Like I said in my last mail not many big Barbel in there but a lot of smaller fish

(Biggest I've had is about 7lb)

Best thing about the place is that you can park in the car park,Takes about five mins to walk to some great swims and its all free!!!!

Have you fished the reservoir at Aldenham???

If you have did how did you get on??

Chris

Chris,

Right, that's it, the Gade's looking good for next season - and a bit of this one, I guess! I can't message you for some reason - perhaps I'm too junior to be trusted with that feature so far :rolleyes: - I wouldn't mind starting some e-mail tennis to get some hints and tips if you don't mind!

Cheers,

John

Roach812,

The Club doesn't advertise for members and you have to be recomended by an existing member. there is a waiting list containing people who have been recomended for membership by existing members. plus a member can usually only recomend one new member per year.

Members do not very often leave once they get their membership, so to become a member its like waiting to fit into dead mans shoes. Membership is also limited to 250.

The Fish in there are not huge but of a decent size, there are larger Carp and larger tench at Moor Mill which is a couple of miles further along the same road but it is just so nice to be able to fish in such beautiful and peaceful surroundings without seeing too many other anglers. Sometimes you can have the lake to yourself. There are some tench, crucians and rudd there plus a few catfish and mid sized bream, there used to be a lot of true wildies in there plus it was stocked with Leney Carp back in the 50s (I think it was in the 50s) but these have all but dissapeared with further stockings over the years.

There's a concealed man made cave which opens into the lake which was made as a boat house, plus there is a waterfall both at the inlet and outlet. it is approx 4ft deep all over. It has a lot of history and It is landscaped and it used to have trees from all over the world growing around the lake but a lot of them were blown down during the bad gales a few years ago.

If you are still on the forum next spring I will take you for a days fishing there if you want. but if you are after large Carp then you would be better off fishing somewhere else.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)