New Member in Watford

navybloke

Hello to all other forum members. My name's John Walker, I'm a naval officer working at a military headquarters just outside Watford. I'm due to move into the Headquarters mess from next month for a year, and will be commuting home at weekends. That's all a roundabout way of saying that I'd like to really, REALLY organise my Mon-Fri time to get some fishing in. I'm looking for pointers towards the following options within easy after-work driving distance of Watford:

- Carp overnighters - I'm thinking of Batchworth or Farlows, any other local ideas?

- Barbel & Chub evening/night - The Colne or the Thames...but the Colne seems all day-only and the Thames is dauntingly huge.

- Zander - Bury Hill, obviously, if I can get there early enough of an evening.

Thanks for any help or advice that's forthcoming, and I look forward to a good look round this forum!

Cheers,

John

Hi John. I can't help myself but welcome to the Forum. :)

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Hi John. I can't help myself but welcome to the Forum. :)

Thanks for the reply...and with your big perch reputation you might well be able to help! The last fish I caught (a week ago) was a 2lb 10oz perch from the Kennet, and if there's another thing I'd like to try over the winter/spring it's a few more twos (and maybe threes?) in my landing net.

Venue-wise - I've got Aldenham Reservoir local, hopefully good for a couple of hours in the afternoon/evening through the winter. The Thames at Staines is just down the road. Plus, maybe there's some commercials or gravel pits locally with a reputation for big perch.

I guess the question is - how feasible are perch as a quarry throughout the winter? I'm guessing that river venues would be potentially better bets than still waters...

As ever, all advice gratefully received!

Cheers,

John, most of my perch fishing is done in winter, and both still and flowing waters produce.

There used to be a link in my signature below to all my articles here on Angler's Net but the location has changed. Perhaps Elton can sort this.

In the meantime here's a link to one on big perch from commercial carp waters: http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Coarse-Fishing...teve_burke.html

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Watford is not far from the River Lee although much is controlled by clubs some areas are not there are barbel in the river as well as big perch. check out this site to wet your appitite.

http://www.lee-anglers-consortium.co.uk/

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

Hello John,

My names Chris and I also live in the Watford area

I will try my best to answer some of your questions

Carp Overnighters - Batchwood is an members only water (Uxbridge Rovers) my friend has just taken over the baliffing of the lake,I understand its fishing very well with lots of doubles coming out but as I say you would have to be a member,I would suggest fishing a part of the canal(grove,ovaltine,etc..) Some big Carp and not that fished much ;)

Barbel/Chub - If there was a place I had to go to it would be the gade(Cassiobury)

I've fished this place four or five times in the last couple of months and have caught every time

Not massive fish but always get a few

I live right next to the Colne and have had some lovely Barbel (10lb) and Chub (6lb) but it has not been fishing well now for time??

Sorry can't help you on the Zander as I've never fished for them

Aldenham Reservoir - If someone could put in the time and effort to fish this place if think the results could be massive,Big Perch,Pike,Roach everything just wish I could :(

Anyway hope this helps

Chris

Hello John my names Chris and I also live in the Watford area

I will try my best to answer some of your questions

Carp - Batchwood is an members only water (Uxbridge Rovers) My friend has just taken over baliffing the lake and I believe its fishing very well with a lot of doubles coming out but like I say you would have to be a member

I would suggest fishing a part of the canal (Grove,Ovaltine etc..) Some very big carp and is very under fished ;)

Barbel and Chub - If there was one place I had to go to it would be the Gade (Cassiobury)

I have fished there four or five times in the last couple of months and have caught everytime

Not massive fish but always get a few.

I live right next to the Colne and have had some lovely Barbel (10lb) and Chub (6lb) but it just seems to be fishing badly at the moment????

Aldenham Reservoir - If someone could put some time and effort into this place I believe the results could be brilliant,Big Perch,Pike,Roach just wish I could :(

Anyway hope I've helped

Chris

Hi John,

I served in the RN based at Northwood next to Watford in the MET office (down the hole).

I left the RN in 77 so a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then.

Welcome to the site.

I live about 2 miles from Aldenham reservoir but I havent fished it for years although I have seen two Perch of over 3lb caught from the dam wall so they are in there.

the outlet from the reservoir runs into a small stream (Tykes) and it runs into our clubs Estate lake (Tykes Water) owned by Lord Aldenham which was originally dug out by prisoners of war during the napoleonic wars by widening the stream, it was further expanded by prisoners of war during the 2nd world war. You can't see the estate lake from any road and is surrounded by woodland and a lot of locals are not aware that it exists although it is 3.5 acres in size the outlet stream runs towards Radlet but the stream is not big enough to be worth fishing.

This lake is a beautiful lake which has been a location on many films and TV series over the years. there arent many big Perch in there but there are some superb Tench, Crucians, Rudd, Bream and Carp in there. I will email you the address of the Chairman if you want to join the club that fishes it, just let me know and I will let you have the details. (I was awarded a life membership of this club for services rendered whilst on the committee)

see photo below.

TykesLakeBigLake_2008_05%20(800%20x%20600).jpg

A view of the larger lake at Tykes Water with the Islands on the left; taken in the spring before the water lillies errupt

If you are after Barbel then you will need to join a club such as Verulum AC which I am also a member of and as you can see it has some of the best Barbel waters on the Great Ouse above Bedford where Barbel to 19lb plus have been caught this season , plus big Chub, Roach Perch and Pike (You can also fish at night on the Gt. Ouse), plus the club has stretches on the Ivel and nearer to home the Upper stretches of the Lea which has Barbel between 4 and 8lb with the very occasional double., plus parts of the Colne near Watford.

It also has some good still waters with near record sized fish of most species (including the famous Leather Carp Toadless), plus a Trout section that fishes a water in St. Albans.

Or you can join Watford Piscators which I'm told have some excellent waters around watford.

Hope this has been of use to you.

I have some pictures of one of Verulums Gt Ouse stretches (Felmersham) and a couple of River Lea stretches plus Tykes lake on my web site below, theres not a lot on the site yet as I have only recently created it.

Tight Lines

Keith (BB)

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)