perception of cats eyes

Andy_1984

Catseyes in the road work by focussing and reflecting the light from your car's headlights, so, unless the fish have little lamps on their heads I expect they appear pretty much the same as they'd look to your eyes underwater, give or take.

[crossposted with DavyR]

Edited by MikeT

What's interesting is that, though anglers are rarely surprised by a totally grim day, we nearly always maintain our optimism. We understand pessimism because our dreams are sometimes dented by the blows of fate, but always our hope returns, like a primrose after a hard winter. ~ C. Yates.

Catseyes in the road work by focussing and reflecting the light from your car's headlights, so, unless the fish have little lamps on their heads I expect they appear pretty much the same as they'd look to your eyes underwater, give or take.

[crossposted with DavyR]

i did think of that first but then remember a topic way back regarding fish eyesight and then it made me think again, well fish dont actualy see like we do

these are the beads in question: http://www.justbeads.co.uk/100-cats-eye-be...blue-p-333.html

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Ah, yes. I see what you mean. It's very hard to imagine how fish see things, but we can be certain their sight is adapted to their environment- which of course is quite different from ours. It's likely the things we see in thin air therefore appear differently to their sight, and moreover those beads will look different to your fish in light which is filtered by the water they inhabit.

By the way, the catseye beads in your link are not the same as the beads found in reflective catseyes on roads (which are basically clear glass, shaped rather like marbles with short fat stalks, I believe). Those beads are made of semi-precious catseye stone, as often used in jewelry.

What's interesting is that, though anglers are rarely surprised by a totally grim day, we nearly always maintain our optimism. We understand pessimism because our dreams are sometimes dented by the blows of fate, but always our hope returns, like a primrose after a hard winter. ~ C. Yates.

Can't hurt, may help, who knows.

If you can get the beads in smallish quantities so the experiment isn't too expensive, it should be fun to try it.

I find myself wondering how the lure would produce on a night with a bright moon.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

unless the fish have little lamps on their heads

Do you have lamps in your head or is the information you regard as eyesight nothing more than reflected light from another source, like the sun for instance??

There are plenty of light enhancing materials used in fishing from metal blades, to coloured beads, to flashabou, to coloured maggots, none of which rely on lamps in the fishes head.

I thought his query was quite straightforward.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

To answer Andy, I'd think any light enhancing material, whether it's a glass bead or simply a polished spoon has the possibility of being useful. Andy, you've seen the kinds of materials I use for making my spinners...folded blades (like the Abu Atom), dimpled Colorado blades, fluted French blades, coloured blades, glass beads, shiny metals and all manner of things to enhance their visual appearance. If you think it might work, give it a try.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Do you have lamps in your head or is the information you regard as eyesight nothing more than reflected light from another source, like the sun for instance??

There are plenty of light enhancing materials used in fishing from metal blades, to coloured beads, to flashabou, to coloured maggots, none of which rely on lamps in the fishes head.

I thought his query was quite straightforward.

I’m sorry you seem to have taken objection to my little attempt at levity. I was of course joking, but my point was valid enough. Catseyes on the road focus the beam from your car’s headlights and efficiently reflect it back to your eyes, which is why they are of higher visibility than a leaf or a stone (which also reflect light, but less efficiently).

My point was that, under ambient light conditions, a catseye looks rather dull because the light source is more scattered, and it’s only by reflecting light focussed from a source congruent to your eyes that they appear so bright (and that was presumably the particular characteristic Andy was particularly interested in). So, in daylight (and probably to a greater extent under water) catseyes don’t look bright, and would therefore offer no great advantage over any other object, like a stone or a leaf, as lures for fish.

But all this is irrelevant, since Andy was talking about a different sort of catseye.