float fishing pike

barrowlad

Hi all sorry that pike hooking seems to be done to death on here and as a pike fishing newbie ide realy appreciate some addvice,so far through the summer ive only fished with lures and so far havnt experinced any deep hookings, but as winters moved in have found this method less sucessfull so question 1 is that allways the case?Sorry for this one as im sure its a real novice question why are normal single hooks not used when for instance float fishing a dead bait ?Ive read with interest the debate on circle hooks but cant imagine ever getting used to not striking as soon as the float twitches habit of a life time and all that.And if single hooks cause some sort of problem ,damage to the fish witch im presuming they do as no one seems to use them then3 why do pike flys have a normal hook in the pics i see ?,mabey they arnt but they mostly look like thye are.

Single hooks are very prone to hooking deep inside the pike and can be difficult to remove safely.

Circle hooks - you can start to wind down when you see a take but the urge to strike can be tough to overcome. Tough but possible.

Trebles - I pass on that one. I don't much like them but I don't fish for pike and several folks I really respect as experts swear by them as being the most pike-friendly way to rig a bait.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President