Safety on the beach

Guest John S

Guest Ian Bass

About 20 years ago a friend and I had a session at Arnside in Cumbria. Being an estuary the tide comes in VERY quickly especially a spring tide. For those who know the area we walked under the railway bridge over the little footbridge and out onto the sandbanks. There is a loud siren that sounds as the tide approaches. We had totally misread the tide times and arrived AFTER the last siren sounded. Just as I set up I looked through the bridge to where the tide would be coming from only to discover the tode WAS coming and VERY fast. I thought at the time "Oh dear, I had better run" or something like that. The little foot bridge was 150 yrds away and between me and the bridge was a VERY deep and wide channel. So with 2 baskets full of tackle 2 rods and rodrests wearing wellies several; jumpers and 2 pairs of trousers I began to run. I could see the channel at the side of me filling quickly I got to the footbridge and crossed and ran directly up the railway embankment. I turned and the bridge was covered. I have NEVER been as scared in my life. Since that day I have been far more safety awhare but still have had to warn numerous anglers in the Blackpool area about the channels behind them filling up as they have not noticed it happening behind them.My advice BE VERY VIGILANT

Guest peter mccue

Ian, you've just reminded me of the first session I did on Arnside after the flatties.

I can endorse all you've said about the tide, it really doesn't hang about does it, quite spectacular to.

One thing you did'nt mention was the pools of quicksand, a local angler told me there was a number of deaths each year with people running up the beach, or wading & getting caught in the stuff long enough for the tide to overtake them.

Having toyed with these deadly pools at low tide (there's one born every minute!)I can well believe him.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Leon Roskilly

Originally posted by Cranfield:

We were discussing this exact point last night, Leon recounted a lugworm digging trip off the Kent coast, when the fog rolled in,blocking out the beach.

The difficulty they had finding their way ashore,trying to work out which way the water flow was going etc, made your skin creep.

He always takes a compass with him nowadays and it also pays to keep your eyes open.

Sorry, I couldn't help bringing this back to the top in the light of the tragedy at the weekend when a father and his nine year old son went out onto the sands on a fishing trip, and the fog rolled in.

For the benefit of Newt et al, who may not have picked this story up, when the water came up to their ankles, the father phoned home and asked his wife to phone the emergency services.

Not knowing which direction to go, they waited in the fog, as the tide came up.

The last call came as the father stood with the water up to his neck, and his son on his shoulders.

The police on the shore could hear their cries from somewhere in the fog enshrouded seas, but were unable to do anything from the shore - they couldn't pinpoint where they were. The father could hear the police car sirens, but disorientated by the fog, couldn't work out which direction they were coming from. The water was cold and deep and the fog hid everything.

Both their bodies were recovered later.

Having been in a similar circumstance, and lucky enough to get away with it, this story keeps going around in my mind, flashing my memory back to water deepening over mud, and fog all around.

If only they had read this thread.

A watch strap compass costs just a couple of quid, and is always there if you ever need it unexpectedly one day - get one.

Tight Lines - leon

Thanks Leon. We didn't get that story over here.

Tragic but lets us know that the sea is never kind to the careless. And ignorance is never accepted as an excuse.

Fog is one of those things you really have to experience to understand though. The way it will totally dis-orient you.

I solved this particular issue years ago though. My belt knife has a compass built into the handle. Not a very accurate one (too small) but it does give a good idea of the major directions.

I don't think you can stress safety and precautions enough on this forum either since I'm sure folks visit who haven't done much sea or beach fishing and it is good for them to see a warning and the consequences of being careless even once.

Guest wirral sea fishing

Hi,

I think that reading this thread would not have helped the Dad and Lad over the weekend, I closed my site down yeaterday as a mark of respect. It is important that we all head a little warning from this, but in truth we wont ! The father and son were in my opinion " just in the wrong place at the wrong time" and no blame should be placed on them as the press and the local news has tried to do !! From reports thier gear was still in the car so they were going to see were the tide was NOT walking out to meet it as the reports have said, The reports indicate that the father and son were local so HE WOULD HAVE KNOWN THE DANGERS OF THE AREA ! they were dressed in waders so obviously had some experience, I feel sorry for the rescuers and the coastgaurd who have to live with the fact that they were only feet away but were unable to help, Other reports have said he should have looked down to see what way the tide was comming in and follow it ! thats all ok but a litle thing called PANIC sets in, the dad was a hero trying to save his son bt placing him on his shoulders knowing that there fate was sealed. Sorry to go on but this really got to me how the "EXPERTS" have voiced their opinions, we all take a risk every day, getting in the car or crossing the road ! It was a sport they enjoyed and the cruel see took them, maybe if the "Experts" had the same passion for something they would understand.

My sincere sypathy's go to the Family and friends of ALL those concered including the rescue crews.

As I said sorry for going on a bit.......

Chris

Guest NickInTheNorth

Chris, sorry to disagree with you on this one, but a compass COULD have made a difference. I am not blaming the father, merely stating an opinion.

My sympathies too go out to all concerned with this tragic incident.

It is a reminder to all that whatever precautions are taken the sea is a dangerous place, and we take it lightly at our peril.

Nick

wirral SF - the link seems to have vanished. News folks don't tend to hang on to stories very long, do they.

Tragic, yes. And I agree the father was brave to put his son on his shoulders. And I understand the feelings of the rescuers who couldn't save them. I really do as a good part of my 27 years in the US Coast Guard was spent doing search & rescue work and we lost a few we wished we could have saved.

However, to be trapped like that, the man must have been either ignorant of local conditions or a bit careless. It doesn't take much of either and the sea has never been known to forgive either one.

[This message has been edited by Newt (edited 08 January 2002).]

Guest chesters1

almost got caught on the south coast once the tide was miles out and when it came in you literaly had to run ,luckily it was a clear day and i saw the tide swinging round in front of me from both sides ,if it had been foggy i probably would still be there

Guest wirral sea fishing

Sorry the link has gone Newt, We will have to disagree on this one, Ignorant nor careless are the words I would use. As a crew member within the RNLI I know what the rescue personel must be going through, as for the father we will never know WHY he decided to STAY on the sand bank, was it that he was told to by the coast gaurd ? and await rescue as it was not far away ! As you will be aware with 27 years within the coast guard behind you, fog and mist can appear from nowere and will confuse the best of us, its true to say a compass would have helped if infact he was not told to await rescue, a floatation suit would also have helped, but "WHAT IF'S" will not help now, my original moan was the "experts" and how they gave out advice on the do's and dont's and I stick by my statement further up " If they had the same passion for something as we do in fishing what risk's would they take ?!"

Chris

Originally posted by Newt:

wirral SF - the link seems to have vanished.  News folks don't tend to hang on to stories very long, do they.

Tragic, yes.  And I agree the father was brave to put his son on his shoulders.  And I understand the feelings of the rescuers who couldn't save them.  I really do as a good part of my 27 years in the US Coast Guard was spent doing search & rescue work and we lost a few we wished we could have saved.

However, to be trapped like that, the man must have been either ignorant of local conditions or a bit careless.  It doesn't take much of either and the sea has never been known to forgive either one.  

[This message has been edited by Newt (edited 08 January 2002).]