Safety on the beach

Guest John S

Originally posted by Newt:

However, to be trapped like that, the man must have been either ignorant of local conditions or a bit careless.  It doesn't take much of either and the sea has never been known to forgive either one.  

[This message has been edited by Newt (edited 08 January 2002).]

Newt, the area in which it happend is a large estuary where the sandbanks, bars and gulleys can and do change on a weekly basis.

The company I work for discharges large amounts of waste into this estuary and many times work has to stop simply because the main channel has moved and a discharge cant be made.

As the building I work in overlooks the area involved I can tell you that the mist/fog can appear suddenly, from our top floor we can see Blackpool tower quite easily (25miles away)and 20mins later be lucky to see 1/2 a mile.

I knew Stuart quite well as he worked in the same factory, the last time I saw him was during breakfast on his last shift before the x-mas holiday, we chatted about boats and fishing and he asked me about a few things, I had sorted out some info for him and thought I would see him on Sunday night,our 1st shift back after the holiday. I found out the news as I got to work that night, in 14 years I have never seen the people in the factory that quiet, there was a very subdued atmosphere that night.

Stuart was very popular and in 14 years I never heard anyone say a bad word about him.

My son is a similar age and I have spent quite a few nights since wondering what I would do in that situation.

Scott, sorry cant add anymore