Any spinning rod recommendations?

Glasgowdan

Hi,

I'm looking for a spinning rod with a bit of poke, a stiffish butt section but still very light, casting up to maybe 40g max. It's mainly to be used for a bit of burn trout fishing, pike spinning with plugs and boat pollacking with 1oz leadheads. I had a good look about the GAC and there were a fair few roads there, but I'm loathe to spend my cash in that place as their customer service still hasn't bucked up (I asked about a new tip section for a rod I bought off them previously and the reply was "we've never stocked that model so we can't help"!).

Has anyone got a spinning rod with a nice stiffish lower section and (maybe) cork handfle that they simply wouldn't part with?

Cheers

Dan

Hi,

I'm looking for a spinning rod with a bit of poke, a stiffish butt section but still very light, casting up to maybe 40g max. It's mainly to be used for a bit of burn trout fishing, pike spinning with plugs and boat pollacking with 1oz leadheads. I had a good look about the GAC and there were a fair few roads there, but I'm loathe to spend my cash in that place as their customer service still hasn't bucked up (I asked about a new tip section for a rod I bought off them previously and the reply was "we've never stocked that model so we can't help"!).

Has anyone got a spinning rod with a nice stiffish lower section and (maybe) cork handfle that they simply wouldn't part with?

Cheers

Dan

Savagear Bushwhacker 8.6 feet / 15-40 grams casting weight :):)

Savagear Bushwhacker

These rods are incredible value for money and have just the right action for modern lure fishing.

Whychwood Sharpshooter Spin - 8ft, 20-50 casting weight

perfect for trout, perch, pike. landed numerous 2lb perch and double figure pike on it and hasnt broken a sweat

even though its been bashed about a bit over the years and needs some eyes replacing it still performs like out of the wrapper if not better

http://www.gamefisherman.co.uk/ishop/1019/shopscr587.html

though the above link says 3 piece mines is 2 piece and cost about £40

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

because your after pike i think the whywood option is just about right, its balanced enough for the smallest trout and can handle decent pike, id go as far to say it could deal with a 30lb pike given you play it right and have a reel thats up to the job

I'll check them both out. If the savage has heavier duty fittings but is still light then I'd be tempted to go for that due to using it in seawater for crash-diving pollack (often double figure fish - they put a lot more strain on a rod than any pike as it's so sudden and fast). The wychwood does look nicer though!

The Wychwood is a very nice rod, the blank especially but I think I'd probably go for the 9 foot version if you have pollack jigging in mind. Pike will give you powerful surging runs but pollack, although smaller, don't half shift when they leather a jig or a lure and off a boat, you might prefer that extra bit of 'stick'. Don't get me wrong the 8 foot is a very nice rod for general fishing but off a boat you really need that extra bit of backbone for pulling the pollack out of the weed before they get their heads down anywhere you don't want them going. Vertical fishing demands a little more of the rod I reckon. Whatever rod you choose, I reckon 9 foot is what you're looking for.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Sounds like you're after two rods. One for chucking jigs and plugs and one for the trout.

There are lots of options at the lighter end with most manufacturers including a 7" 5 - 15g spinner in their range. Just the job for trout/perch.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Sounds like you're after two rods. One for chucking jigs and plugs and one for the trout.

There are lots of options at the lighter end with most manufacturers including a 7" 5 - 15g spinner in their range. Just the job for trout/perch.

that would certainly be a lot more fun playing trout and perch on instead of the heavier pike rods. ill be considering it closer to spring myself when i get an even heavier setup for pike lures, 50 - 120 grams :D