Line for Trotting

dancollins50

That's the beauty of bulk spools of Sensor, you can bin it after every trip and spool up with nice new stuff. The bulk spools are small enough to put in your bum bag or tackle bag and if you loose any ammount of line leaving you with an uncomfortably small ammount left on the spool, just spool up with fresh again. Anderoo give it a try bud, I think you'll like it. It's only 6 0r 7 notes so not expensive. :thumbs:

Funnily enough I use sensor for all my other fishing except trotting! I'm a big fan of it, it's amazing value. I've got big spools of it from 4-15lb tucked away in a dark cupboard. I don't like it for trotting though as it tends to sink (one of the reasons I like it for other fishing). It will do the job, but I find trotting much easier with a floating line. I'll dig out the name of that stuff I mentioned. It's tough old stuff too (despite being very supple) which is good, I'm always getting it tangled around nettles/trees/the reel :rolleyes:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Funnily enough I use sensor for all my other fishing except trotting! I'm a big fan of it, it's amazing value. I've got big spools of it from 4-15lb tucked away in a dark cupboard. I don't like it for trotting though as it tends to sink (one of the reasons I like it for other fishing). It will do the job, but I find trotting much easier with a floating line. I'll dig out the name of that stuff I mentioned. It's tough old stuff too (despite being very supple) which is good, I'm always getting it tangled around nettles/trees/the reel :rolleyes:

I had a little go with Drennan double strength as a mainline the other week when Grayling fishing. I know it's meant to be a hook length but it still has quite a bit of stretch left in it . Anyway it was pretty good but is, or was with me quite easy tangling and with it being low diameter was sometimes difficult to undo so I had to re tie my hook back on on more than one occassion. As I say it was good though and would probably be good for shy fish.

yes i've used it for a couple of years now ,its a very smooth casting line ,with good line pick up ,it does have a little stretch built in ,and its pink..... oh and it floats dame good

[/quote

I read an article in this weeks Mail and i thought it was new to the market. So its been out for a while then?? As you recommended im gonna try some. i like the colour hahaah Cheers Dan

It's a good trotting line but if you buy it test it with your knots first. I tested it with all sorts of knots and a set of scales and found with a loop to loop connection it was about 90+ knot strength. With almost all other knots it was 50-60%. The palomar and trilene knot were probably 90% too but I found them to be inconsistent sometimes breaking at much less than expected for no apparent reason.

This was the first time I had tested a line in such a way but it taught me a lot about lines and knots and now test every line I buy.

Interestingly Drennan lines seem spot on. I tested Drennan Float fish in 4.4lb and it breaks at 4lb almost every time.

I've found Shimano Silk Shock and most Maver stuff to be exaggerated by the manufacturer in terms of strength:Diameter.

Paul

I normally use loop to loop but sometimes i attach a small swivel to the main line

then attatch my hook length around 15" by way of a palomar. i normally bulk my shot above the join

so when i get smashed (which i do fairly often ) i dont lose the shot. iI got done in at the Hampshire

Avon Britford this week by a pike taking my grayling and a massive sea trout nicking my worm and

storming off at a rate of knots and me running downstream after it till it boiled at the surfice and was

gone. thats what happens when u use a 2.5lb hook length. Keep on trotting. Dan :D

I've gone off Floatfish (despite recommending it several times on here before), it has terrible memory and after a while on a pin it end up all curly, making trotting pretty annoying. I've recently started using some great stuff, bought from my local shop. I'd never heard of it before and can't remember what it's called! Something like 'xenon'. It floats like a beauty and doesn't retain any memory. Apparently it's coated with silicone, making it extra smooth through the rod rings!

I'll dig out the name and put it here - it's a bit pointless recommending something if I can't tell you what it's called :rolleyes:

We are all waiting with bated breath for the name. Our centrepins are ready to be tooled up.

tite lines Dan

Another vote for Diawa Sensor from me tough as old boots casts well and is cheap as chips I use it for most of my trotting.

However another good choice is Berkley Trilene XL it's fine for its stated bs and is a handy back up for those days when a clear line is called for

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

try drennan hook tie, comes in 50mtr spools ideal for a centrepin, i've been using it for years never had any problems.

Thanks guys for all the info its much appreciated. tite lines Dan