WATERFORD - CHRISTMAS FISHING TRIP

MainBassMan

• 3 weeks later...

Probably giving Ireland a miss this year but how about an AN trip in 2006 - I know some decent boats and a lot of great shore marks over in the SW (Dingle Peninsular).

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

• 2 weeks later...

:) THINK EASTER TRIP ON - CHECKING ACCOMODATION!!!

THEN LETS GO 4 IT........... :)

BassMan - The holder of Possibly Very Good Catches - Luv to fish from Yaks!!!!

Booked accomodation will take another :P 3 :P fisherman - any takers?? ghost

MBM - I am going over to Cobh and Dungarven 3rd week in April for a few days with the Kayak. Going to try for some trout too in the loughs around Galway if I can get up there.

The area around Cobh is supposed to be good for bass - so I am taking a fly rod and a spinning rod, that's it.

When is Easter? I don't think I can get two trips in - got to do some work sometime!

Keep us posted on how you get on.

Simon.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Hope U have fun - I fish a v similar area normally about 30 miles east though - Luv the place!!!!

Interesting Article

Mike Thrussell's Sea Log 4 22nd December 2003

:PIRISH ANGLE :P

Have you noticed just how many “No Fishing” signs are appearing on piers, jetties, breakwaters and quays? More than a few, eh!

I can understand anglers being restricted if there is a danger to either the anglers themselves for some reason, or maybe to the public, say due to limited casting space. Often though, there seems little justification for the ban.

In contrast Ireland actually encourages anglers on to most public places. Ireland excels in having road type signs indicating where good fishing marks are and even detailing the most likely species on these venues to guide anglers.

The Irish Central Fisheries Board does a fantastic job of promoting sea angling in Ireland and undertakes regular survey work on areas discovering and mapping out new marks. This information is turned in to maps and information brochures, which visiting anglers can buy allowing them to tap in to the local knowledge and immediately go out and catch themselves some fish. This attention to detail has a dramatic beneficial effect on the local and national income by encouraging anglers and their families over to the Emerald Isle.

This ignorance of the importance of angling within the UK generates to the holiday trade too. Traditional and popular fishing areas like the southwest, Wales and Scotland that see a massive influx of visiting anglers should get better organised and be deliberately encouraging anglers in to their area by giving simple yet effective support by the use of those Irish style road signs and quality brochures. Few holiday brochures currently give angling even a paragraph and tourist board counter staff look at you as if you’ve just arrived from Mars if you enquire about the local fishing. I’m well aware of this as many potential visitors, prior to their holidays, e-mail me after drawing a blank with the tourist office.

Fact is angling is badly served by the tourist industry within the UK and by many local councils too. Anglers spend money liberally and often more so than normal holidaymakers do when in these communities. How long then before the national and local tourist information infrastructure gears up to our needs? I’m not holding my breath!

TIPS AND TRICKS

You’ll often notice fish are concentrated within a very small area, say a depression on a beach where food gets washed in, or maybe they are running through a narrow gully between rocks. To make sure you cast to the same place every time carry a black marker pen and paint the reel line after you’ve judged and cast the correct distance. If you then slightly overcast each time, you can retrieve the line back until the mark appears at the reel and you know the bait is in the right place.

BEACH GROYNE TACTICS

Beach anglers tend to fish in the middle between wooden or stone groynes, but this can cost you fish. The groynes are natural food collectors and attract and hold fish.

On flood tides always try to fish on the uptide side of groynes, the side the tide hits. Food washed along by the tidal current will collect against the base of the groyne and fish will gather here to feed. Flatfish and dogfish commonly do this.

The ends of the groynes are the hotspots. The tide will deflect around these and tend to gouge out a depression or hole, sometimes leaving a big pool in the sand at the very end of the groyne. The passing tide again drops food in to this hole and fish like sole, bass, codling and whiting will take advantage. They sit on the inclines of the depression facing in to the tide and take food items as they wash in to the hole.

You can also use a groyne to minimise weed problems after a storm. The weed will get pushed up against the side the tide is hitting, but if you fish the downtide side placing your casts very close to the end of the groynes the weed will be minimal here giving your bait time to attract nearby fish.

On the ebb tide the fish are less likely to feed along the groynes edge as they become nervous of the shallowing water. They tend to stay just outside the groynes and you need to cast beyond the groynes to continue catching.

Stone groynes are a feature on some beaches and are made from boulders just piled up. These fish similar to the wooden groynes with the depressions at the end, but because the boulders are good places for crabs to hide and the rocks hold mussels you’ll find that fish will work along the stones nearer towards the high water line searching for food. Bass, codling and flounder typically use this a feeding ploy.

Nice tips there MBM. The new stone groynes on the Seaward side of Sandbanks, poole is one spot I have looked at to try bunging a fly for a bass very early in the morning - seems as though i wasn't so far of the mark in my thinking. I shall have to get weaving and give it a try. I've got some boat tests to do down there in a couple of months....!

Simon.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo