Returning Nottingham angler needs help

dutch1862

Hi

After a break of around 10 years from fishing my dad and I are thinking about getting back into it.

I could really use some help on the following if anyone has any tips please:

- Good venues in Nottingham. I used to fish the Grantham Canal (the part that runs parallel to Radcliffe Road in West Bridgford and from Gamston Bridge up towards Morrisons in Gamston). Whenever I drive past these days it always looks overgrown and covered in weed. Anyone know who runs this now and what the fishing is like? And any other venues that would be good for either a day ticket or a member? Pinders Pond in Lady Bay used to be pretty good too as I recall.

- Local angling clubs. What clubs are there these days and are they worth joining? Details to join etc would be handy. Matchman Supplies ran a stretch of Grantham Canal the last time I fished and I used to be a season ticket holder. Anywhere near West Bridgford would be good, but not essential as we both drive.

- Any developments in tackle, baits and methods over the past 10 years that I need to look out for?

Many thanks

Rob

Rob

http://www.anglingwiki.com

Angling Wiki - the free online fishing encyclopaedia!

I can't help myself but welcome to the Forum!

It's always much quieter here at weekends, plus many of the regulars are at a Forum Fish-in. Hopefully someone who can help will be along shortly.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I can't help myself but welcome to the Forum!

It's always much quieter here at weekends, plus many of the regulars are at a Forum Fish-in. Hopefully someone who can help will be along shortly.

Cheers Steve, I was begining to wonder if it was something I'd said lol! I'll hang tight then...

Rob

Dear Rob, joining The Nottingham Anglers Association would be a good start, they have the fishing rights to ponds, canals and stretches of rivers in and around Nottingham. You can join via local tackle shops eg Gerrys or Walkers and is relatively cheap. I can recommend the East Bridgford stretch of the river. If you want to start by catching lots of fish go to the small ponds at Covert Springs near Epperstone, the opening times are a bit limited, day ticket, best when the weather warms up in about May time, does get crowded at the weekend. Free fishing on the Trent embankment, even has public toilets! If you start at this time of year: keep warm, don't expect to catch any fish, but don't give up. It may be best to plan things now, get a bit of advice, clean your tackle down, buy some new line, walk a couple of stretches and start when the weather warms up.

Jeremy

Dear Rob, joining The Nottingham Anglers Association would be a good start, they have the fishing rights to ponds, canals and stretches of rivers in and around Nottingham. You can join via local tackle shops eg Gerrys or Walkers and is relatively cheap. I can recommend the East Bridgford stretch of the river. If you want to start by catching lots of fish go to the small ponds at Covert Springs near Epperstone, the opening times are a bit limited, day ticket, best when the weather warms up in about May time, does get crowded at the weekend. Free fishing on the Trent embankment, even has public toilets! If you start at this time of year: keep warm, don't expect to catch any fish, but don't give up. It may be best to plan things now, get a bit of advice, clean your tackle down, buy some new line, walk a couple of stretches and start when the weather warms up.

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy

Any idea how much the NAA costs?

I noticed your profile says you're from Arnold, I'll have to get mine updated accordingly I think! I live in Basford, so not too far away. Is there anywhere close to our neck of the woods that's worth checking out? I often see teenagers walking around with tackle, I really ought to ask them where they go!

I used to fish the embankment quite regularly when I first started around 20 years ago. Behind the Forest ground used to be okay - any idea what it's like these days? Well other than the river being so high that it's rare for you to be able to see the concrete steps!

Rob

Dear Rob, the NAA costs £33 per year with a few pounds joining fee. I too have seen those carrying tackle in Basford, I guess they are fishing the pond in Vernon park but have never been there myself. There isn't anywhere in Arnold to fish, the closest venues are Bestwood ponds (NAA) ~ I find these difficult to catch from, the Nottingham canal in the centre of Nottingham ~ not very picturesque. The Embankment is getting very good reports especially this year ~ biggest draw back is if it rains your cant put a brolly up because its concrete steps. The closest part of the Trent is the Stoke Baldolph / Burton Joyce stretch which is day ticket / picturesque, thus I tend to fish this stretch if I don't want to travel too far. My biggest handicap is I don't drive thus if my fishing partner isn't with me I have to persuade the wife to take me, otherwise I would fish more. If you want to travel a bit further the Trent around Newark can be very good and for Commercial ponds Makins is about an hours drive. I could waffle all day! ..................Jeremy

And thanks again Sir!

Some good advice. Where abouts is Makins? I've found a couple of references to it on the net, but so far no location!

Don't worry it's not waffle. All very useful to someone like me who's had at least a 10 year break from fishing!

Rob