Can you eat smoothound?

NickH

Hi,

New to sea fishing, but have enjoyed a few bass and mackerel so far.. Caught a fairly large smoothound last weekend in beaulieu river but unsure if it is edible...can someone please confirm if it is and if so, what is the best way to cook it!!

Thanks

Nick

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest stevie cop

I have eaten smoothound, a long time ago, and it tastes horrible! Smoothound are a premier sportsfish and should be enjoyed as just that. Put them back unharmed.

If you really want to eat something horrible that badly, try slugs!

id say if you caught it last week it would be pretty much ineadable by now??

"Colonel Gadaffi, knows more about fishing than the whole of westminster put together"

Alex Salmond 2004 SNP Leader

"Forza Dons"

Skining them is a bugger to, the best way i have heard is to nail it to a fence and use a pair pliers.

My fav sea fish are smoothys, deff worth the sport.

Cheers

<º))))><.·´¯`·.ÐÅѸ.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

IPB Image

Guest stevie cop

I can't believe that people still kill smoothounds. Back in the bad old days, we used to keep everything we caught. But I thought we'd come a long way since then. Obviously not :o (

Very sad.

stever whats wrong with taking 1 smoothie, if you are considering eating it?? no different than taking a bass or cod for eating??

"Colonel Gadaffi, knows more about fishing than the whole of westminster put together"

Alex Salmond 2004 SNP Leader

"Forza Dons"

Before you kill a fish, learn something about it.

Not just how good or bad it might taste, but how long it can live, how slowly it reproduces, how late they mature and how slowly nature replaces any individual lost.

If you knew a bit more about any of the wonderful small sharks there are swimming around our shores, you would feel sick at the idea of anyone killing them, even if they were to taste good, which they mostly don't!

See: http://www.anglers-net.co.uk/sacn/latest/i...ex.php?view=326

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust