me agin for pike lol sorry

swanyboii

Hi Swanyboii, glad to see those who were once glad to pick the brains of ANers themselves a year or two ago have not put you off asking questions!

Right, lure fishing can be great fun, and you are less likely to have a pike swallow a lure than you are with a deadbait. That link that I gave you for the PAC tells you how to set things up for deadbaiting. But really you do need to go along with someone who can help you for your first trip.

With bite alarms, there are plenty of good cheap ones from Shakespeare and Ron Thompson, you will also need some form of drop back indicator. Pike often pick up a bait and swim towards you, hence the need for a drop back indicator. You really do need a practical demonstration.

In the meantime, if I were you, I'd stick to lures fished slowly and out in open water rather than round the margins. Personally I rarely fish with deadbaits now, lures work for me in the winter, and I've had plenty!!

Make sure that you have long forceps, and even a small pair of bolt crops, for unhooking pike. B&Q used to do excellent mini bolt crops for about ten pounds, your local branch might still sell them. Sometimes you have to cut the hooks into smaller bits to get them out!

If you don't have the gear for unhooking then don't go pike fishing! If you don't have wire traces then don't go pike fishing. You'll never forgive yourself if you kill a pike because you didn't have the right gear.

Good advice r.e pike unhooking gear, wish the penny would drop with some of the a**holes who fish my local rivers!

As far as lures go, Peter has suggested the Big S which is an old lure but almost always catches, shads pretty easy to use as well...can be retreived fast or bumped along the bottom providing the hook is on the top of the lure

Thats a similar type of mini bolt croppers I use for Cats. Ive found them a bit too big for some /most piking situations though so may have to try those smaller ones. At the moment (and for some years) I carry a set of extended handle cutters that are capable of cutting through individual arms of trebles up to size 2 but not the shanks.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Swanyboii,Ive just read the thread that you started that has been locked.Sorry you got a rough ride.Where abouts do you live? If it aint (oops sorry dont want the literacy police comming down on me as well!) is not to far away maybe you would like to ask your Dad or Mum if you could have a days piking out with me.Might be good if one of them came with us and I would gladly show you the ropes?

Please dont think the people who mentioned the bad spelling etc were bad they were just expressing a point about the new world in general.Im sure if you ask any fishing questions again they would all be more than willing to help you.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Hi Swanyboii,

Just want to share a few tips on how I learnt the principles of pike fishing. First up I done a lot of reading up on the topic and google helping greatly. Take a look at this link for pike handling http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q...dling&meta=

and for the basics have a look at http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q...earch&meta=

What I generally do is read through the first few websites that google return, and what you will find is that the information is generally the same. However each article tends to explain certain points in a more in depth/informative way.

From reading the articles it will give you a better all rounded understanding of pike fishing.

I certainly am no expert on pike fishing, in fact a couple of the members here are showing me the ropes and I am sure you will find friendly helpful people on these forums who will be more than happy to show you the in's and out's of pike fishing.

Hope you have happy fun piking days :D

Lutra, the cutters you showed are fine for smaller hooks, making traces, cutting wire and line, swivels etc. but if you intend to do a lot of lure fishing you should consider a set of Knipex Bolt Croppers. They make mincemeat of the biggest stainless trebles.

710120014.jpg

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Swanyboii,Ive just read the thread that you started that has been locked.Sorry you got a rough ride.Where abouts do you live? If it aint (oops sorry dont want the literacy police comming down on me as well!) is not to far away maybe you would like to ask your Dad or Mum if you could have a days piking out with me.Might be good if one of them came with us and I would gladly show you the ropes?

Please dont think the people who mentioned the bad spelling etc were bad they were just expressing a point about the new world in general.Im sure if you ask any fishing questions again they would all be more than willing to help you.

cheers for your help i now live in the hornchurch area near romford i reently movd from canning town ... it sounds good mate cheerrssss

Hi peter, i was wondering what you mean by bolt crops. As when i think of bolt croppers i think of something very big and heavy to cut bolts. Do you mean something like this.

I got some small bolt cutters from Aldi of all places. Thet are small enough to go into my lure box and are of a good quality.

Jp <"))))><