Returning thornies from the shore

Andy MacBog

Hi Folks,

I do not know if any of you have experienced problems returning thornies from the shore? They seem to stay near the surface and close to the shore when I return them. On one occasion a fish we returned came steaming back to shore, at the surface, a good 10-15 mins after we returned it!?

I was wondering if they find it hard to expel air, after being landed, because of the position of their mouth, and if its that which keeps them near the surface? I have yet to try releasing one upside down though!

They also seem to sit and sulk if they do not go back into an open area. But that's easily resolved!

I know it maybe sounds like a daft question but I would appreciate any thoughts that you(s) may have!

Thanks folks,

Andy

i think u hit the nail right on the head mate

in my pond i have sturgeon

which have a similar shaped mouth to rays (downward facing)

sturgeon are known for taking in air whilst feeding on the surface which makes them float and knocks them off balance and can kill them if not sorted

gently rubbing there stomach to expel the air cures this most times

maybe worth a shot mate

macky

[ 03. June 2005, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: macky ]

just back from Norway where the big cod had problems going back.

we found that although they seemed ok they didn't go down very easily.

the solution was to hold them in the water while they regained there strength then spear them in. no problems after that.

great sight seeing a 30lb+ cod swimming away.