Help needed using a margin pole

rarepleasures

I've taken to using a 7m tele margin pole whereas previously only ever using a rod and reel.

I'm ok with the small stuff but 2lb+ fish are proving more of a problem.

I've managed a couple of Tench by keeping the tension so the fish is up enough in the water, but yesterday I had 3 takes where the elastic was stretched going out 3 - 5 ft and the fish managed to get to the snags.

Naturally I'm getting concerns about hook pulls, and I want to fish responsibly.

Once snagged I'll leave the line for 5- 10 minutes hoping the fish will work its way out again. Sometimes this works, but not always.

Basically I suppose I don't know how to use the pole: when I get a violent take should I hold the pole up in the air, low and it the opposite direction ?

On a rod and reel I feel I have more control to play the fish until its just tired enough to steer to the net, I don't have that feeling with the whip.

Is my elastic strong enough / how far should it stretch ? I am playing the fish correctly ?

One of the things I'm acutely aware of is if the line snaps at these tensions the pole float is going whip out at dangerous speeds.

Tony

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the same problem when I started using the margin pole and getting bumped by lumps. I changed elastice several times to cure this. One of the other anglers suggested Black Hydro, I have changed my rigs to suit and in the majority of cases it works, because you are able to bully the fish up in the water a bit. It gives you more of a chance.Hope it works for you. Keep persevering.

RP - I learned something from an expert when I started using a pole. He showed me that when you hook a big fish, "walk the dog" - this is where you put the top section of the pole UNDER water!

I don't know HOW, but it works! As soon as your pole tip (and elastic) is under water the fish seem to turn round and swim back towards your pole. By lifting your pole and walking the dog when he starts a run, you can tire the fish and get him into your net!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

rarepleasures.

Is it a whip you have ?

Whips and margin poles seem to be interchangeable terms. I was using the Middy Power Carp Ready to Fish Whip (which seems to be exactly the same as the Middy Impact Margin Pole) and I was using the red elastic

I would not use it for fishing the margins as it is telescopic.

Sorry by margins I meant the length of the pole so between 3 - 5m out

Edited by rarepleasures

Tony

Take apart = pole

Telescopic = whip

Whips and margin poles seem to be interchangeable terms. I was using the Middy Power Carp Ready to Fish Whip (which seems to be exactly the same as the Middy Impact Margin Pole) and I was using the red elastic

Sorry by margins I meant the length of the pole so between 3 - 5m out

John Cayless

www.anglingconcepts.co.uk/

Team SPRO/Cralusso

Take apart = pole

Telescopic = whip

Thats not how I understand it.

Difference between a pole and a whip

A pole is fitted with an internal elastic which cushions the fight of the fish, whereas with a whip there is no elastic and the rig is simply attached to the fine tip.

Whips are usually telescopic with maybe one or two ‘put over’ sections at the butt end, whereas poles usually have a telescopic top two or three.. sections into which the elastic goes, with the rest being ‘put-over’ sections. Poles are generally 10 metres long or more, whereas whips are generally seven metres long or less.

Tony

RP - I learned something from an expert when I started using a pole. He showed me that when you hook a big fish, "walk the dog" - this is where you put the top section of the pole UNDER water!

I don't know HOW, but it works! As soon as your pole tip (and elastic) is under water the fish seem to turn round and swim back towards your pole. By lifting your pole and walking the dog when he starts a run, you can tire the fish and get him into your net!

Thanks, that definatly sounds like its worth trying. How much tension should you put in the opposite direction do you estimate ?

Tony

rarepleasures.

Try to strike towards the snags when the fish take the bait, they will then go in the opposite direction to the snag.

Usually I just give a gentle but firm lift to set the hook and I only know its a big fish ( as opposed to a skimmer) as immediately they're half way to the snags.

Tony

What I usually do is apply gentle but firm pressure to hold the tip of the pole under water.

I will lift the tip out every minute or two to check and see if my elastic is back to a decent (1 - 2 m) from the tip, when it is, I lift the pole and fight again. If it decides to take off again, I walk the dog again!

Edited by kleinboet

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription