Card reading speed?

ayjay

I always used to just plug in my A95 and download the pics from the CF card, it wasn't particularly quick but not too slow either.

Since the purchase of a laptop and more recently a DSLR I've changed the way I do things but have noticed that the download speed is terribly slow.

Is this a symptom of using a different CF card or is it just cos the pics are bigger (in M.pixels).

Would a better quality card download pics quicker?

I do intend to try my 2.0 gig Sandisk card (from the (A95) in the DSLR but just haven't got around to it yet. -_-

I always used to just plug in my A95 and download the pics from the CF card, it wasn't particularly quick but not too slow either.

Since the purchase of a laptop and more recently a DSLR I've changed the way I do things but have noticed that the download speed is terribly slow.

Is this a symptom of using a different CF card or is it just cos the pics are bigger (in M.pixels).

Would a better quality card download pics quicker?

I do intend to try my 2.0 gig Sandisk card (from the (A95) in the DSLR but just haven't got around to it yet. -_-

The DSLR is probably a much bigger picture file (m pixels). You dont give 'm pixel size'? My Compact is twice as quick as my DSLR for that reason, simply, more infomation to load! There are some superfast cards out there, have a look at their speed spec. I also find that a 'card reader to computer', seems to be quicker than 'camera to computer'. Thats how it used to be anyway, been using card readers for years, so I dont know if the latest cameras are any better? Also have found own brands cards and 'acme'=never heard of brands, are slow by comparison? personal opinion of course. I'm talking SD cards her, cant coment on CF cards.

Its not the capacity of the card thats makes it faster, its the trickery inside that is 'double dutch' to me. However, Sandisk do have verious speed designation on SD cards, I use their 'Ultera III', and still it could be faster transfering 10mp's. . . !

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior

Cheers Cliff, I just tried plugging the DSLR straight into the PC and it's actually much quicker reading it, even with the naff card that came with the camera. I've now finally remembered to put the better card in the DSLR and maybe that will speed things up a bit more.