20lb Pike on coaching session

Waveney One

We missed the rush and Barry Fuller my pupil turned up at 8.30 by which time the pike circus was already gathered in the deep water early pegs. After a bit of a chat we took a short stroll to the boards in front of the cafe to set up. I have caught a lot of jacks off there before but nothing of any great size. To be honest neither of the rods Barry had with him were really suitable. One was an out and out waggler rod but the other was a Fladen spinning rod. At least the Fladen had some power in it to cast a bait and some tackle out. Looking at his reels, there was insufficient line on both and what there was was about 4lb B/S. Another trip to the bait shop sorted that out and armed with a bulk spool we loaded up some new line.

I set up my rod for a dead bait with a sliding float and a trace with a couple of small semi barbed trebles. The Fladen we set up with a small Fox Predator Slimline Slider, a sliding stop knot, a couple of beads, a small lead to cock the float and one of my home made traces with a size 4 single Drennan Specimen Barbless hook with a Fox Predator Bait flag on to make sure the bait stayed on and to give a target point. I use a hook to match the size of the bait as I would if I was bait fishing for bream. Showing Barry what I was doing, how to tie a grinner etc. I went through the usual explanation that whilst we may get more runs on the live bait we would probably get larger fish - if any - on the dead bait.

After about 1/2 hour we managed a run on the livebait that Barry safely hooked and landed, a jack of all 1lb 8oz. Not a sign on the deadbait but Barry was a very happy bunny having had his first pike. At least I was able to show him how to unhook a pike and show that single hooks do work and are a lot easier to get out than a pair of trebles. I did manage to prick my finger on the teeth trying to clear the roach off the hook though. Another valuable lesson for Barry to learn, even tiny pricks bleed for ages and it looks as though you have had a finger off judging by the amount of blood. I showed him how it was only the bottom jaw of the pike that moved and that sliding your fingers under the gill cover you can get them to open their mouths to remove the hook/s.

Anyway, pike safely returned and Barry very happy. Then about 1 o'clock with no more action, I suggested that we bring the livebait on the Fladen a lot closer in to the boards. I was packing my gear away, Barry was going to fish on. I was chatting to Barry when out of the corner of my eye I saw his float disappearing. To cut a long story short, Barry struck and played the fish well although I did suggest that he kept his rod a little higher a couple of times. Safely in the net, I knew it was well into double figures but not too hopeful it went 20. But the scales never lie as they say and in fact it went 20lb 2oz. Hooked just in the scissors and I was able to use my fingers to remove the hook. Witnessed and weighed by Stu Mill and the weekend lad from the Bait Shop. I didn't think it was an enormously long fish but it was broad across the back and deep. Should have measured it really, I'll make sure I have a tape measure next time I go piking but what the H*** 2 fish including a 20lber first time pike fishing for the lad.

What a start to a pike fishing career for young Barry! To be honest that is the largest pike that I have been a party to albeit in a small way. I have had them myself up to 18lb 8oz in fact I had 2 15lbers on ledgered lobworm fishing for perch in one of the London reservoirs years ago but never a 20lber so I am really pleased for the young man.

Not sure how long it will take him to get another of that size, probably all downhill from here but who knows - with luck like that he could go a long way! People next to me on that bank had had a small jack and two guys a little further along had had a couple about 6lb and 8lb by the time I left about 1.30.

Moral of the story - not all the pike are in the deep water at the moment. Not sure if I can a pphoto on here, but I will try. They have some on the computer at the Water Park. By the way, the time we hooked it was about 12.50.

PikeHeadandshoulders.jpg

Nice one....is that the best photograph?

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

That shows the size of the fish off best, the depth and the breadth across the back. Here is one of the guy who caught it but he wouldn't pick it up! So it doesn't do the fish justice. It is a bit bent and is pointing slightly towards the camera.

post-5765-1228677841_thumb.jpg

Something to teach on the next coaching session in that case. Can't fish for pike if you can't or won't lift them.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

Something to teach on the next coaching session in that case. Can't fish for pike if you can't or won't lift them.

To be honest he was shaking so much he would have dropped her anyway. Once we had returned her, I sent him off to the cafe to get a cup of tea and a bacon sarnie before he started fishing again.

Sorry, I meant in general, rather than in that 1 particular case. Part of your piking curriculum as it were.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

Sorry, I meant in general, rather than in that 1 particular case. Part of your piking curriculum as it were.

I agree it is very important, that, how to unhook and return fish. In this particular case the return of the fish was more important than the photo. I had already got him to put her back into the water whilst I had gone to the bait shop there to get the scales and witnesses. I had half a mind to hold her myself and get the staff to photograph me, but apart from me being ugly and spoiling the photo of the fish, it was such a good fish it would have felt like cheating, holding someone else's fish. Would have looked good on my web site though. :)

Congratulations! I bet the only one more pleased than you was Barry! :clap2:

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Congratulations! I bet the only one more pleased than you was Barry! :clap2:

I get a great deal of satisfaction when a plan works and it doesn't matter too much whether the fish is a small jack, a 2lb carp, a roach or this fish, I certainly still get a buzz especially when the odds are against me. I have to say that although he caught it, both of us know that he would not have done without my assistance. My pb is still 18lb 8oz. I hardly ever pike fish myself these days. Although I always take my rods they are used for demonstration purposes or by the 'pupil'. Should there be a run on 'my' rod even if I have cast it out then the pupil will strike it.

I was extremely pleased for Barry and yes, I was over the moon to see such a fish. Hence the post. Probably even more than him as I don't think he really appreciated what he had achieved. We had already discussed my pb and the largest fish I had personally caught from that lake, 8lb! but I am still not sure that really understood. I was expecting to have heard from him today as it sank in, but not a word so far.