Breathable chest waders

Hake

I'm thinking of getting a pair of breathable chest waders, to keep the tootsies warm and dry when the weather's a bit colder.

My main concern is that, in the event of a dunking, they fill with water and become a liability.

However, in principle they seem similar to the waterproof salopettes that come with latex ankle seals.....if the ankle seals are doing their job properly then most, if not all, of the water entering the salopettes from the chest area would be retained, giving much the same effect as the waders.

So, before investing, I was wondering if anyone else has tried them or if anyone has any learned advice to give as regards the cons for chest waders ?

Thanks.

Chest waders are a serious safety issue, quite a few of the swffers that I have fished with wear them. Most of whom will have hopefully wised up after watching one of our group attempt a self rescue in the right gear and showing just how difficult it can be.

If you were to take a dunk they won't necessarily pull you under, but they will fill with water and then you will become unable to swim and it would be near impossible to clamber back aboard your yak.

If parted from your yak, you would have to hope that somebody spots you or your flares or picks up your emergency call, hopefully you have flares kept in your PFD along with your VHF.

Removing them at sea once in the water would be extremely difficult if not impossible.

Please take a look at some proper paddle wear, don't risk your life and the lives of the emergency services.

The Palm Bib and Brace will serve well as a pair of chest waders, have a neoprene chest section to slow down the ingress of water, yes they can take water onboard if you are in the water for a length of time especially if all the seals to your Cag are not correctly tightened which will allow water to seep through the double barrier.

There are other options from various paddle clothing manufacturers so do a search and see which will suit your needs.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

I'm thinking of getting a pair of breathable chest waders, to keep the tootsies warm and dry when the weather's a bit colder.

My main concern is that, in the event of a dunking, they fill with water and become a liability.

However, in principle they seem similar to the waterproof salopettes that come with latex ankle seals.....if the ankle seals are doing their job properly then most, if not all, of the water entering the salopettes from the chest area would be retained, giving much the same effect as the waders.

So, before investing, I was wondering if anyone else has tried them or if anyone has any learned advice to give as regards the cons for chest waders ?

Thanks.

Im still in breathables but I just cant get my head aroud what to wear. with the bib and brace can the water get up your legs from the bottom. The same as wearing normal trousers or is there a seal? What do you wear under the trousers ?

Hi SM,

Thanks for the reply. My concerns are pretty much what you have mentioned.

I should have added that the waders would be worn with a cag. This being the case I can't see that much difference between the waders and a Palm Bib&Brace as regards water ingress...once it would get in it would stay in....with the feet on the waders or the latex seals on the b&b.

The "benefit" of the waders option is the fact that the feet stay dry and therefore warmer.

However, if the waders are a bad option then I'll drop the idea. I want a long and happy kayaking career, not a short and fatal one (or even long and fatal for that matter) !!

I guess it begs the question then......other than a dry suit, what's the best way of keeping the feet /lower legs warm during extended periods of fishing side-saddle ?

Hi ya Barra,

The Bib and Brace have sewn in booties and a double seal around the waist, this only matches some of the Palm Cags so you need to make sure you get the correct type. The lighter cags will only give you a single seal, better than no seal though.

A just wear a pair of pants during the summer and long johns and a pair of socks during winter, although I do need to get hold of a bigger pair of boots as they are a little tight with socks.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Hi Mike

I have to confess that I sometimes wear a pair of waders on the yak. The ones that I use have straps that tighten around the waist. This allows me to dispense with the shoulder straps and just wear them around my middle. Like this I feel pretty confident that I could shed them in the water if I needed to. Not beeing breathable they are no good for all day sessions as you get too sweaty in them. If I could afford a pair of breathables, then I would definately be looking at the Palm Sidewinder? pants as I think they have the sewn in booties and are propbably of a comparable price.

Aidy

Yak: OK P13 (yellow)

Hiya guys.

Dont wear the waders, not a good idea at all.

For fishing in the colder weather you need to be warm and dry, but its not just staying dry that you need to consider.

If you took a dunking and managed to shed your waders, to enable a re entry, you are then wet and have to paddle back to shore, cutting the trip short.

While paddling back, and then getting back to the car etc, your going to be cold and uncomfortable, not to mention the possible effects of hyperthermia.

What if you CANT retrieve the waders in a choppy cold sea ?

Dry Paddle Trousers will do you fine, there is no need to go to any major expense.

As for the tootsies, a pair of woolen socks inside a pair of 8mm dive boots, your feet will be wet, but warm.

Yopu can wear a pair of track suit bottoms under them to keep you warm.

Works for me.

Have a look at the trousers here.

http://www.bournemouthcanoes.co.uk/trousers.htm

This is worth a read too.

http://www.sit-on-topkayaking.com/Articles...yakClothing.htm

Bill.

Edited by Yakity - Yak - u.k.

i dont like the idea of the chest waders apart from filling up with water

it reminds me of an issues drysuit wearers when scuba diving can get if the air aint expelled properly in the suit that can end up feet up in the air because of trapped air this can be an issue when under water with breather gear on [has caused deaths] but if it happens without breathable gear i wouldt like to say the outcome but maybe im im wrong but imo not good kayaking leggings and jackets have seals etc and lairs chest waders just dont have

beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

KAYAK :ok scupper pro (green)

launches 2009 1

species caught 1 cod

Hiya Hungry.

For anyone who might try the waders option.....and I hope they dont.

If you do turn upside down because of trapped air in the legs, and you cant shed them , then cut them with a sharp knife ( safety kit )to expell the air, try not to panic and struggle. :wacko:

Most dry suits these days come with purge/dump valves to expell the majority of the air before entry into the water.

Most of my diving was in warmer climes, so shorts and a T shirt were the order of the day, so much nicer :D

Bill.

Divers dry suits come with these valves.

Dry suits suitable for kayaking and other surface watersports are constructed differently. These types of suits will put you on your back not upside if you are wearing a pfd and you trap some air in the legs. Have contacted my dry suit manufacturer about the upside down rumour and they never heard of any cases (but with divers dry suits it sounds like this is not the case). I used to expel all the air out of my drysuit -I don't anymore and follow what some other kayak fisherman do -I leave some air in to gain extra buoyancy which also makes the suit warmer during the colder months. As always test your clothing out first.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow