Latest Report outlining DEFRA's future Intentions

Leon Roskilly

HiWurzle,

Some of the muppets I fished with did very well :D:D

My concerns lie mainly with inshore waters and estuary systems.

There are a few very well protected areas in my area but these are of little use if gill nets and trawlers can operate right up to the edge of these areas and in one case commercials can trawl if they have a mind to right up the Loughor estuary to Pontardulias bridge.

Now I know they don't for several reasons so here is a case where commercial fisheries can make a gesture which handled right way could give a much needed lift to the image.

I could see no reason why a line should not be drawn from Worms Head to Temby creating an excellent nursery area for many species.

I take your point on the wind farms but will they be sited in locations that will protect fish?

I know fish will take up location but will they turn into nursery areas like our coastal and estuary waters?

Sorry to hear you feel you cannot speak up about quotas at fishery meetings, that should not be the case. It is a place for debate not persecution.

From the information I have read it would seem that the problems not only relate to what you can catch but the access to our waters that have been given away. I must admit when I looked at the quota maps for various species it got even more confusing. It would appear that various previous goverments have failed to protect our fisheries.

It would now appear that they realise these mistakes, so with a bit of pushing from all concerned (both parties together) we could start putting things back in shape.

BUT we do need to kick **se.

We have enough votes between us all to control who gets in, more numbers than any union and we have to let them see we mean business.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Lads,

What a very interesting thread and some familiar names as well.

I am not a commercial angler but i deal with them at Stakeholder meetings for Welsh Assembly Government (WAG). Their opions are that:

1: Government allowed through the EU Foreign Vessels the right to rape our waters with Pair trawls etc.

even uK Pair trawlers are dislikened by the smaller port Trawlers.

2: Trawlermen have a very low opionion on Black Market Fishermen Buyers and Sellers will help RSA's with this as well as the Commercials

3: Bag Limits are welcomed by them and in return a Quota management reflecting a percentage equal to RSA's would be considered.

4: Mesh sizes would be made larger reducing their smaller sized catch (byecatch) would be considered if part funded for renewal?

I personally think this is a Major step in reality however seeing is believing or is it believing is seeing!

Anglers Licenses:

This would be welcome if policed properly, also Commercials might have an annual license imposed on them making us all on a level peg.

Leon Roskilly is right when he says target your own Fishery appointed MP for your Country do not go direct to Bradshaw or Blair, we went to Carwynn Jones MP for Wales, he will be heard in Parliament wher AN OTHER may not. We know of one group that made this mistake but were put on the right track.

Useful Links

No 10 Report called for

No10 update

Strategy Group

RSA Wales

House of Commons Report

Edited by John Edwards

John Edwards

RSA for South & South West Wales