Mouth damage

shooter

It would have to be a very big barbel to get a couple of porky fingers very far into its mouth, so I can see the reason for that. Also, it is very inadviseable to put your hand too far into a chub's mouth, and barbel may well be similar. I suppose it would stop anybody picking their nose though.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the detailed reply, Peter.

My major concern is on deeper hooked carp, where there is pressure from the line on the scissors of the mouth. If this is breached, perhaps because the mouth was already damaged, then the line can cut through the softer cheek.

I think the line is far more likely to cut through the edges of the mouth than a hook, especially if it is a fine braid. We're getting back to the topic of stiff, powerful rods again and snag fishing. We have tackle now, that would allow you to clamp down and not give an inch, without suffering a breakage (not suffering applying to the angler rather than the carp). You've probably seen articles describing the locked up style when fishing near thick weedbeds or snags. Some anglers are now attempting to extract carp from almost impossible swims, and to hell with the consequences. Quite a few carp at Baston Fen were ripped up by people illegally fishing into a forbidden area of sunken bushes but this kind of behaviour is very difficult to police. Some people even wanted these bushes taken out completely, leaving the fish with no real sanctuary at all - just to protect them from a few irresponsible idiots who would stop at nothing to get into Carp talk.

[ 05. May 2004, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: Peter Sharpe ]

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.