Rigging Prowler 13

Simon Everett

Thank you SM. Just got back, I didn't forget my wellies - needn't have bothered, they got filled with sand/mud slurry courtesy of a howling Scania hitting a puddle about 10 feet from me at a good 40mph!! I've got the camera working again but the lens is going to have to go back to Nikon to be stripped. Pics should be great though, managed to get off 4 before trying to turn my back to save the camera from the soaking - using a wide angle low to the ground for impact. It very nearly was :D

I must remember my kayak. I must remember my kayak. I must remember my kayak...I will write it out 100 times. Then, I might remember my kayak

:D:D

Simon.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simon, are you still shooting film or was this with your new digital, recently read an article about a studio photographer who was starting to loose clients at an alarming rate, he decided to buy a digital and have a play as he had spare time, soon as the clients heard he was back up to full capacity, they just hated paying for processing and scanning and the extra time it took.

We must organise this Smooth Hound trip, my van is in the menders for at least another week, but after that.

SM

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

SM - the answer is BOTH! The big publishing houses still prefer film unless it is a late story when time saved by digital has the edge - but for archiving and diggig a picture out for use you simply cannot beat the speed and ease of film - much easier than digital.

My new digi body is the Nikon D2X - expensive I know, but it produces medium format quality. In the quarry I was using good old 120 tranny for the big static pics and 35m tranny for the action. It was one of my old F5s that took the soaking - it worked fine right through, even after the dousing I just wiped it off with an old towel. The lens was of more concern, so I poured some water over the lens element to wash the sand off - but some had got forced into the focussing ring from the pressure of the "wave" :mad: It will clean up OK in Nikon's workshop, but will probably cost about £150 for the privilidge. My nice new 17-35 as well. I have an old 20 -35 for this kind of job - but guess what. Yep, I'de left it in my other bag at home :D:D

I must remember to take my old lenses into quarries. I must remember to take m.........!

Some of the smaller publishers LOVE the digital, simply because they can save the cost of film, processing and scanning. For commercial clients I often have to shoot a mix of both.

For instance, I am shooting some new, commercial RIBs for Zodiac in a couple of weeks. They need medium format film for print and digital for web/cd use.

SO, there is no easy answer.

Smoothounds sounds good - any flatties in there along the Lymington frontage? Plenty of mullet I know, but you need to do funny things to catch mulet - like groundbait for a month before hand. Bit awkward when you are just after an hour or twos line wetting experience.

TTFN.

Simon.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Smoothounds are appearing off Hayling according to the press, flatties are also about off Southampton and Southsea, mullet...leave that for people with more time, like you I generally have 2-4 hours on the water before the mobile starts nagging.

Back to the photography, we are getting most of our photographers to shoot digital, it gives us a little more time to retouch and turn the jobs around. Have you come across the programme Genuine Fractels, might be of use to you, allows you to resize images upto 3 times with no quality loss, it's amazing.

Seriously thinking of getting a small 5 megapixel Nikon Digital with a waterproof case to mount on the yak, just got to get that one past she who must be obey'd.

SM

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X

Nice one Speciman, hadn't seen or considered a Pentax.

All these reports of fish and me stuck without my van :mad: hopefully get it back next week and finally get the prowler in the water, might even have some bits bolted on by then.

SM

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X

Might try and get to Beaulieu Boat Jumble this weekend, weather permitting, got to go to another show first thing in the morning though.

Beaulieu is a great place to pick up some cheap bits and pieces, saw compasses for around half price last year, ropes, fittings and fishing tackle are always well priced, but make sure you know your prices before you go.

SM

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X

Speciman - I had a press ticket you could have had if only this had been posted up a bit sooner! Sorry chum. Better luck next time.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo