Prowler 13 How much water in hull

***oLLy***

Hi All,

I've just got back from a day out on my prowler 13 and despite it being a bit lumpy and shipping quite a bit of water over the side, I'm glad to say that the hull was as dry as a bone when I got back.

As for the hull flexing, I thought i was imagining it at the time but occasionally there does seem to be some movement as if it is trying to fold up in the middle. I don't think it's anything to worry about but it can be a bit disconcerting.

nifty.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Olly, I filled mine today, after taking out the Caper, which let in more water than usual... it was pouring over the bow though. My scuppers are out of alignment too, but thankfully no leaks, glad it soughted you out though, good luck with the replacment, don't forget to ask for 4 screws on the handles. :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Hi All

Been out on Windermere today try out wifes new prowler 13 put some duck tape on mine not a drop of water inside as for the wifes I think it will make a better submarine when we got it out there must have been 3 gallon inside futher inspection reveal another faulty join on one off the scupper holes water was p***ing out its not good this we could have been out at sea, Quality Control is pathetic must be a problem with them. I dont think these are NZ yaks I had a frenzy a couple of weeks ago and that one had proper warranty sheets with sn numbers stamped on yak got the wifes from different shop than mine so have sort out both im going to ring Johnsons as well to get 2 like this it does make you wonder if somebody has brought in a batch of sub standard ones.

Hi Olly,

Sorry to hear about your problems.

You are absolutly right, Johnson Outdoors need to get a grip here.

They must contact thier supplier and get the problem sorted out.

Let us know what they say to you when you phone.

I will be making a few calls too.

[ 16. May 2005, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: Yakity - Yak - u.k. ]

Hi All.

Just had a very prompt reply from Johnson Outdoors.

Hi Bill

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I’ve had a quick read through the forum to get up to date on the extent of this.

One thing that I should make totally clear to everyone is that we will always sort out problems. That is we will repair or replace as necessary any kayak with problems. Fortunately the percentage is very small & the scupper holes, on ours & every other manufacturer’s boats, are the most vulnerable points when the moulding takes place – they are more prone to air bubbles forming that can be missed by quality controllers. Rectification is usually very simple & permanent. If we can’t fix we replace, if the owner is unhappy with the fix – we replace. These problems should be picked up by quality control but some problems don’t show up until use. The ‘fill with water’ test is not a particularly good or reliable one as fittings when pressured from the outside will close up & seal whereby, conversely, they’ll do the opposite when pressure is from the ‘wrong’ side.

I read, also with interest, the debate on where the boats are made. We have two factories in the US that produce sit on tops & one in New Zealand. These are all owned by us & should operate to the same QC standards. We also own the production in two venues in Europe & North Africa so have an even more ‘hands on’ control from this side of the pond. The materials used vary slightly depending on where (which continent) they are sourced in but comply with the same world wide standards. Because of the number of places they can be produced there are variations in hatch layout, strap or shock-cord variables etc but the boats are all essentially the same design, materials & performance. Some boats (Prowler & Caper for example) are only produced in the US – it tends to be the very high volume sellers that are duplicated around the world – Malibu, Frenzy, Scramblers etc.

Sorry to bore you with all the background! My intention is only to say that we work very closely with our dealers around the country to make sure that everyone is a happy customer. Ocean Kayak invented the concept of the sit-on-top & probably produce more boats worldwide than our combined competition so are very keen to maintain this position. We work, constantly, with the kayak fishing pros & the community at large to ensure that design & quality is up to standard & will (as previously stated) stand by every product we put on the market.

If any of your associates have any problems at all please tell them to contact the dealer they got it from & we’ll sort it out the quickest & most convenient way to keep everyone on the water. You’ll have experienced some evidence of how we work with Simon!

Thanks again Bill

Best regards

Andrew

[ 16. May 2005, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: Yakity - Yak - u.k. ]

Thats good communication back - they responded quickly & gave the all important detail. Interesting that all the Prowlers and Capers come from the US.

Lets hope the guys who have had problems have their kayaks fixed/replaced soon.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Had my first trip in my new P13 on Friday .... great fun :)

I started out just taking it easy getting used to things and tried a few exercises in the harbour. Leaning over, moving about, accessing front hatch, jumped off, rolled it over and did a self rescue. Then I spent two hours just exploring the cliffs, caves and gulleys. Back on the beach I checked the inside and there were only a few drops and that was from me dripping into the front hatch! Seems pretty watertight so looks like I got a good 'un.

Then I took out a rod for the last hour and tried a few drifts and was surprised at the speed of the drift, it was a pretty strong current though. No fish but it was enough to let me see that I'm gonna have to think a bit about the rigging.