Malibu X-Factor on the water

Simon Everett

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great Review as always Simon :)

As for the X-Factor, I like it's stability. I like it's equipment, hatches and rigging. I love the optional hatch seen on the website (extra rod holders and a kiddy seat, very innovative). I don't like the speed issue (I already paddle a snail) and the price is definately a tad steep for me. So it's not going to be my next yak...

However I will say, 'nice job Malibu'. Their range of products are stirring up an increasingly competitive market. That just leads to better products for the end users. I for one am very much looking forward to the next generation of fishing specific kayaks from all of the manufacturers.

Personally I will probably stay brand faithful to Ocean Kayak for my next purchase, as I will be after something with a 26-28" beam and a bit more speed. The Scupper Pro and the Prowlers are favourite. (incidentally I am aware of the leaking problem on some prowlers, my local dealer assures me that OK are fixing this issue.)

Simon, what happened about the prototype / scupper pro...Unfortunately the thread has long been deleted...but I believe your 'Scupper Pro' is far from being a standard SP. I can't quite remember what your deck looked like, but I do remember I liked what I saw!...are there still plans to release something similar in the future???...or is that top secret!!! :D

Thanks again for taking the time to review...and indeed to Malibu for offering up some decent kit.

Tightlines, Art :)

Art,

It's the European edition of the Scupper Pro TW, and it's out there now I believe, Barramundi already has one, the colours that will be available in the future according to Johnsons Outdoor are Yellow, Olive and Grey, it has an ideal layout for finders, GPS, Compass, etc, lots of flat space....hhhhmmmmm nice. And cheaper than the Prowler strangely, mind you I still love my Prowler.

Go on Art you know you want to.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Everett caused a strong east wind to blow the waters back so the people could walk ten miles through the sea to safety. :D

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Art,

the Scupper Pro is going into production as per mine. The difference for the angler version is slight. The hull has remained the same - proven now over many years. The TW is the same, a tad narrow at the tail end, but it was designed around a diving bottle - laying down, facing aft, hence the funny curvature. This is still useful today for the bubble brigade. The forward section of the TW is squared off to take a crate - slightly bigger than my Homebase, or Focus plastic shopping basket (the girl at the till DID say I could take it to the car. It is just on long term loan.... :D I haven't found a crate that fits yet, but it must fit something made by someone, the dimensions will have been taken off something.

The main alterations have been made to central "spine" console. The useless cupholders, which just fill up with water, have been filled in, and instead there is now a long, flat surface where you can mount all manner of goodies. I can see Scupper Pros ending up looking like GHQ with all the electronics they are going to be festooned with! There is a small centre hatch with a net bag in it - this does come out if you are careful and don't break the plastic ring which the net is on. Then you have wonderful access for the full length of the kayak from the bow to the deep seat moulding. Perfect for running cables etc....

Where the Scupper really scores is in its simplicity - you don't NEED a seat, the moulded well is quite comfortable for an all day trip without anything further. Especially if you wear a wetsuit or something which gives you padding anyway. As I am a racing snake I can slip in easily - I can understand why Starvin likes his Prolwer :D

If you are South African Prop forward material then you simply can't fit. That's that - and so you go for the P13 or something else instead!!

Sitting so low the stability is great - but being a narrow kayak it does move - but it doesn't fall over. That is the primary/secondary stability thing - movement is good, it permits the kayak to go over waves - instead of through them.

The Scupper offers serious offshore capability at an affordable level. You don't need to shel out on a seat, you can if you want to, but it doesn't need it. It is one of the cheaper models around, presumably because the moulds have paid for themselves over the years and so unit cost now comes down. It is also quite a dry riding kayak. The spray deflectors around the first third of her length or so really do knock the spray down - the X-Factor has this feature too and I forgot to mention it! It means you rarely get splashed from spray and I have only had one wave break over the bow of the scupper - in the surf on the beach going out.

The only thng I would suggest Art is for you to have a go in mine - but I want it back....

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

As always Simon a great review. I am suitable impressed. Time to do some research me thinks.

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I