Whitby's Law Breaking Fishermen Are Not Dishonest

Guest Feels like Winter to me

Cheers BC.

Was the closed area set up to protect static gear then? If so, was there static gear out when the trawler was caught in there?

Any idea how they proved the case against the trawler? Was it a Protection boat that caught it fishing? Enforcement was difficult when there was a 3 mile limit along the Scottish coast; even aerial photographs showing the wires out could be challenged in court.....

I agree on the fine. If DEFRA are serious about moving fisheries regulation out of the criminal system then maybe we will see more sense with the burden of proof and fine levels.

Despite the occasional (?) boat infringing the 3 mile limit I think it did a good job up here. For sure it was ignored at times (esp night) but overall it gave the grounds a lot of protection IMHO. It was only when the goverment scrapped it that you really saw just how much good it had been doing... :(

Do you think your closed area does any good atm ?

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes jaffa a lot of static gear was once worked in there, netts were shot over night there but on some occasions were never seen again it was i think a nursery for cod to spawn through the winter that was why it was introduced but believe me it has had more trawl nets over it over the years than static gear but is another story .

The man who got fined was caught by the northestern guidian which is run by the northeastian fisheries sorry to say this but it was classed as a joke really aunty nelly could have done a better job.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Was it one of our honest dishonest men driven to dishonesty again by any chance Big_cod???? Surely wouldnt be a high profile name Like the NFFO president Arnold Locker who associates himself with ministers and the like at fisheries meetings in the Uk and Europe - He surely has never broken the law before being driven to dishonesty recently. He's not dishonest mind - Just cant make an honest living anymore.

Edited by Feels like Winter to me

Guest binatone
Binitone i wish i had a pound for every codling that has been caught from the back of the rock and so would you millions of pounds have been earned from that small erea and from the waddy, you been in there lately mate.

I certainly do whish I had a pound for every codling taken from the back of the rock.

Just The same I would love a pound for every codling taken from any part of the coast from the Humber to the Tyne.

The thing about the back of the rock was and still is. Is that it is always good clean fish, very little small and always codlings. (Would thought you would approve of that) if you get twenty baskets of bulk there then you never put more than (discards) one back over the side.

As for the waddy you show me a boat that has not been in there at sometime. Don’t know why you have to single out the man that you have?

I remember one day (middle of) there being eight or nine trawler just inside and a fleet of thirty odd boats spratting into the half mile.

Like I say back of rock has (when the conditions are right) been a steady fishing, the same as most of the ground down the north side of Whitby. Have never seen a big fishing there like you got hard a shore at dowsing and head end when the fish set in but is a good steady fishing just the same.

I cannot understand why you and FLWTM keep going on about rule dodgers, boats being built just less than sixty foot so they can fish inside of three miles?

You show me a boat that was built or has been built for Whitby that was more than sixty foot? Over the last forty years. Think skippers tickets big cod. Think traditional fishing grounds. Think grants white fish grants when you got them.

Again will have to say that there was more cod taken with ropes by under powered boats than ever taken aback of rock. Just ask the leady family the store family the price family and everybody else that went with the ropes.

I think that you can only admire the restraint of someone who is told that he can only go out and produce food for 12 days a month without any compensation from anybody for doing so, unlike a farmer who is compensated by us to do nothing for 365days a year in an industry that is also there to produce food.

Take away our subsidies and we would and do survive. Show me a farmer who would?

I sit here merrily reading this forum occasionally posting but rarely on debates like this as I know so little about it but this post amused me somewhat. Recent events at Hull have shown what is highly likely to be the tip of the iceberg regarding "black fish", admittedly I dont know this for certain, I suppose only those involved will ever know the true extent. Hard working fishermen are turned into criminals overnight but they have broken the law and so they are criminals. You cant choose which laws you follow and which ones are ok to break, when i went to school I think they called that a democracy

If a farmers subsidies were taken away and he chooses to provide for his family by growing opium is that ok? Or maybe if he only grew marijuana and stayed away from the hard stuff, then he could still stay in the rotary club and sit in the front row at church.

Its sad really if i was only able to work 12 days a month id find myself another part time job to fill in the gaps. Loads of places offering jobs with flexible hours taxi ing for instance ok it sucks but wth it pays the bills. I could go into town and get 3 or 4 taxi jobs at this time of year tomorrow and Whitby is only 20 mins drive away, the work most likely sucks but it pays the bills and do you know anyone who actually enjoys their work? I work 12 shifts a month continental shifts alternating days and nights sometimes for up to 21 shifts in a row with barely a day off Im telling you it may be warm and dry but it sucks I hate every minute im there but I go cause I have mouths to feed its the same for every one. If I lose my job tomorrow because the world ran out of paper and I can no longer print Id go find another job. I wouldnt just buy myself a big stash of the last remnants of the paper in the world aprinting press and move into forgery

Skippy

So many questions so little time....

Hmm, too much passion for the occupation and too little for the resources it depends upon it seems.

There is nothing wrong with the resouces that I depend on, except that the Dutch have aquired most of it.

I fish to live and live to fish.

I certainly do whish I had a pound for every codling taken from the back of the rock.

Just The same I would love a pound for every codling taken from any part of the coast from the Humber to the Tyne.

Binitone yes there has been some execellent fishing south of whitby flamboro head comes to mind one of the pair teams working out here december 2001 had 1000kit for 8days now that is 10000 stone not bad for 8 days fishing you might say,as i have said before bigger and more efficent boats not in lenth but in structure the pair trawl they were using in 2001 was far far better at catching fish than the one they used 20 years ago say .

The skipper who was taking one of the pair teams who caught that fish said to me that in all the years he had been fishing which had been 25years at that time he had never seen fishing like that and he also worked the sector towing pipelines,

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Binitone yes there has been some execellent fishing south of whitby flamboro head comes to mind one of the pair teams working out here december 2001 had 1000kit for 8days now that is 10000 stone not bad for 8 days fishing you might say,as i have said before bigger and more efficent boats not in lenth but in structure the pair trawl they were using in 2001 was far far better at catching fish than the one they used 20 years ago say .

The skipper who was taking one of the pair teams who caught that fish said to me that in all the years he had been fishing which had been 25years at that time he had never seen fishing like that and he also worked the sector towing pipelines,

10000 stone. How much was the boats quota for a yera at that time???

Guest binatone

Well there you go then. I think that the bojens from Grimsby would want to differ with you regards to the pair trawl methods being more effective today than they where twenty years ago.

Thirty years ago they where (bojens) coming into Grimsby with 1000 kits for eight or nine days fishing every trip. They where only keeping best sprag and cod.

As for towing on the pipes we had 300 boxes for a twenty minute tow not so many years ago.

Pair trawling has changed very little over the last thirty years, the nets about the same size; they more or less use the same amount of sweep. The bobbins are different now because then they used 21”bobbins that filled up with water. Although on saying that the bojens where using a type of rockhopper.

The only big difference between the pair trawlers of back then and the boats that are at it today is that the boats then where much superior to the ones that fish the southern north sea today.