Triploid Brown Trout

Otter of Poole

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes i've tasted them, from a few commercial fisheries i've fished, when all i was bothered about was catching fish, rather than catching good wild fish in equally wild places :)

they're pellet fed freaks, unable to breed and purely exist to be caught. just commercial stock fish.

i don't know of any in rivers in the uk, that's not to say there aren't any though.

yes i've tasted them, from a few commercial fisheries i've fished, when all i was bothered about was catching fish, rather than catching good wild fish in equally wild places :)

they're pellet fed freaks, unable to breed and purely exist to be caught. just commercial stock fish.

i don't know of any in rivers in the uk, that's not to say there aren't any though.

Horses for courses chap.

For an industry (fly fishing) that's worth almost 700 milion squid in England and Wales, it's perhaps a good job some anglers can and do fish the 'commercial fisheries' as you say, or there'd be no wild fish for you to worry.

I would also say IMHO that the taste of any particular fish has a great deal more to do with species and environment/water quality. Crabs taste great but they eat sh*t all day!

Come on boys and girls........must be hundreds of you out there that know something constructive.

you talk about triploids like they're something special, they're a genetically modified fish that never matures and can't breed. i'm really not sure why you'd want to target them above other fish, and the only reason i'd want to know where they were stocked is so i could avoid them.

the taste of anything of course depends on species and evironment, that's why triploids are particularly bad, they're GM, have no real taste or texture and have nothing to offer other than the fact they're cheao to stock and control.

if the commercials that stock triploids didn't exist, the river banks would still be as quiet as they are now, and the anglers that fish the commercials would play golf instead :)

you talk about triploids like they're something special, they're a genetically modified fish that never matures and can't breed. i'm really not sure why you'd want to target them above other fish, and the only reason i'd want to know where they were stocked is so i could avoid them.

the taste of anything of course depends on species and evironment, that's why triploids are particularly bad, they're GM, have no real taste or texture and have nothing to offer other than the fact they're cheao to stock and control.

if the commercials that stock triploids didn't exist, the river banks would still be as quiet as they are now, and the anglers that fish the commercials would play golf instead :)

I'd really like to know how that's done chap, ref GM. and where you get your information :huh::headhurt: .

GM defined. Requires that genetic material is transferred between organisms, or altered such that it makes a permanent change to the organism, breeding true for successive generations. If triploids are sterile, How does that work :huh:

Edited by Otter of Poole

gone quiet? no, only just seen your post...........

the first time i looked at your reply timed 3.36 it just had a quote of my previous reply in it. i didn't see that you'd edited it.

i'm no biologist, but i can use google, if you do the same you'll see that triploids are regularly described as GM, and they most certainly are sterile.

what i can say for sure is that they are very bad eating, no taste with a slimy, unpleasant texture. they're no great challenge to catch either, being as i said before, little more than cheap stock fish, no more than a cheap way to fill a lake with something to catch.