Okuma reel, good or not?

carphead100

and you get a 5 year warranty with them.

Edited by pumphypete

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I have 11 okumas and some of them i have had and used for ten years, i have never, ever had a problem with any of them. The Epix is as good as anything twice as expensive and the cheaper reels knock other bottom end reels for six. Don't get me wrong i have a couple of diawa reels and a shimano and there is nothing wrong with them either, its just i hate the barely concealed snobbery that bubbles up everytime the word okuma is mentioned.

I have 11 okumas and some of them i have had and used for ten years, i have never, ever had a problem with any of them. The Epix is as good as anything twice as expensive and the cheaper reels knock other bottom end reels for six. Don't get me wrong i have a couple of diawa reels and a shimano and there is nothing wrong with them either, its just i hate the barely concealed snobbery that bubbles up everytime the word okuma is mentioned.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Devonian thanks for the extra confidence with my reel.

Tight Lines,

Dan.

I'm not really a fisherman, I just like to think I am.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Devonian thanks for the extra confidence with my reel.

Tight Lines,

Dan.

Carphead, they are great reals for the price. I have 4 Epix pro baitrunners. For £50 you get 2 spare spools and a spare handle. Great value ...

they are great reals for the price. I have 4 Epix pro baitrunners. For £50 you get 2 spare spools and a spare handle. Great value ...

or you can get them at £37.49

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

• 1 month later...
In general, Okuma makes a good reel for the price. On the Carp Anglers Group Forum, we've been discussing Okuma Avenger and Epixor baitfeeders, and a number of our guys have reported troubles with the baitrunner function not working properly in certain situations. I, however, have been using Avengers (the lower-end Okuma baitrunners available in the US) for three years, and have never had a bit of trouble with them, and enthusiastically recommend them to my customers who are just beginning in Carp-fishing. They're not the VERY best out there, but for the price, they're tough to beat.

i had two okuma undertaker baitrunners and they have never gave me any problems accept the bolt underneath the spool consistantly came loose whic ment me having to take the spool off the tighten it up, but apart from that it was all good.

i had two okuma undertaker baitrunners and they have never gave me any problems accept the bolt underneath the spool consistantly came loose whic ment me having to take the spool off the tighten it up, but apart from that it was all good.

I had three Okuma Undertaker baitrunners, at one point I was using these at least one day a week and up to the point i got new reels i never had a problem. Maybe it's the care you take with your gear?

I mean, things don't break on their own do they?

OI OI.

Nexed time it comes loose try a small amount of LOCKTIGHT on them.... sorted

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite

• 1 year later...

Sorry to drag up an old thread but my IBF30 is still going strong. Have since had 10lb and 11lb barbel from the Hants Avon. I use/abuse it for lure fishing too. I love this smaller version.

My IBF40 is a bit worse for wear but I really abused this (sea fishing, piking, bass lure fishing - everything!). I still use it.

I always keep it in anti-reverse but sometimes it forgets and thinks it isn't! Have to double check the baitrunner is fully engaged too sometimes.

Overall they're fine and great value. Does anyone own the 'newer' Interceptors?

Edited by bingo

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.