360 replies to this topic

#11 Jim Gibbinson

Jim Gibbinson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Interests:coarse, game and sea

Posted 20 March 2005 - 03:56 PM

Current warm weather is psychologically uplifting, but I suspect there's more to it than water temperature: I believe day-length (and/or angle of the sun) and tide-cycles combine with water temperature to provide the necessary they're-here-and-they're-feeding trigger.

Whatever the case - it won't be long!

#12 Jim Gibbinson

Jim Gibbinson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 03:59 PM

PS. Love the picture, Leon. Mind you, for those of us who fish the Medway such sights are commonplace....

#13 Leon Roskilly

Leon Roskilly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,436 posts
  • Interests:Fishing (Coarse, Sea & Game), Conservation & Cycling

Posted 20 March 2005 - 04:37 PM

Jim Gibbinson:
PS. Love the picture, Leon. Mind you, for those of us who fish the Medway such sights are commonplace....

But only if you have X-Ray vision! LOL :)

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

#14 Guest_sslatter_*

Guest_sslatter_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2005 - 10:21 PM

I'll have to get my camera out, just so I can post some shots of what we're seeing down here at the moment.. there are literally thousands swimming around..

..but I haven't caught one this year yet..

#15 Matt Baldwin

Matt Baldwin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Interests:Swimming, Ice Skating, Football, Boats, Fishing

Posted 20 March 2005 - 10:28 PM

when are you going to be posting the pics mate.

Have you heard of anything coming out of Littlehampton yet?

Matt
Hia's All

#16 Guest_sslatter_*

Guest_sslatter_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2005 - 12:14 AM

Matt- if and when I get my (non-digital) camera down the river, I'll have to get the pics developed, and then scanned at a friend's house, when he's at home, which isn't often- so no promises.

I haven't heard anything about Littlehampton, but I was down the Hamble this afternoon and saw about 200-250 fish swimming around.

On the Itchen, it's thinlip central at the moment. I wonder where they all disappear to as it gets into summer, because disappear they do.

All the best.

#17 Jim Gibbinson

Jim Gibbinson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 05:53 PM

Graham, your disappearing thinlips don't come up the Medway, that's for sure! The number of individual fish in our "shoals", when they do eventually arrive, can be counted on the fingers of one finger...!

[ 21. March 2005, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: Jim Gibbinson ]

#18 Guest_sslatter_*

Guest_sslatter_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2005 - 09:18 PM

"..the fingers of one finger.."

Sorry to hear that Jim. All you Medway mulleteers, and only one fish to catch between you all!? Has Leon R. been telling porkies? :D

Seriously though, it is a bit of a mystery. Down here, come about mid-May, the thousands of thins will have vanished, leaving the usual few territorial groups of thicks, with the odd few thins here and there. Don't ask me where all those other thins go- I just don't know.

#19 sam-cox

sam-cox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts
  • Interests:angerling, bonking

Posted 21 March 2005 - 11:19 PM

maddies catch thinns ....
BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

#20 Guest_sslatter_*

Guest_sslatter_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2005 - 12:05 AM

sam-cox- they're not interested in anything at all down here at the moment. All they're doing is aimlessly floating around in the shallow water over the mudflats, now-and-again scraping their stomachs into the mud, turning on their sides, and convulsing for a couple of seconds. Their behaviour is very like some spawning fish, but I can't believe that's what they're doing, because those mudflats get completely exposed at low tide, and on a Spring low with good weather, they more-or-less dry out- the tides are coming up to Springs now.. so..

???