Mullet watch 2005

Guest sslatter

south coastie:

has anyone spotted any thicklips yet?

:cool: My wife may be going shopping in Chichester today so I'm going to try a spot that I've had mullet up to 4lb in April before, although the weather was warmer then and high tide was mid-day, not evening. I wouldn't normally even think about it but it could just work, and if it doesn't, so what, if my luck's in I'll let you know. :D

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys,

The biggest Mullet caught commercially in local waters that I have heard of was 15.5lbs...

A friend of mine has landed a 10lb 7oz and another friend 11lb 10oz.

There are big fish around Guernsey from January to March, I have hooked estimated fish between 10-12lb and seen bigger. I would not be surprised if the 15.5lbs was real as I have seen a 12-13lb'er in the fish markets here once.

I believe when the record goes it will either be in Alderney or Guernsey as these are always fished regularly at peak times. However, Sark and Herm (also local islands) hold great potential as my biggest was from Herm, 8lb 6oz (caught at night on swimfeeder and returned alive) and the two weeks before a 10lb 7oz and 8lb 3oz were caught on normal beach gear at night with worm baits - just like in Alderney off Platte Saline.

[ 10. April 2005, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: Caleb from Guernsey ]

Caleb

www.guernseyfishing.com - under construction...

Hi everyone I am back! New year and new mullet season.

Last year I narrowly missed out on winning the mullet trophy at my local club to the man who has won it more years than I can care to imagine.

Weymouth Angling Club has a trophy for the best 5 mullet caught and by the end of August I had the best mullet on the board and lots of good fish between 4-5lb just behind them. I thought it was in the bag and with the colder weather coming on decided to quit for the year. Unfortuately the main mullet man at the club Mick Channon managed to beat me at the post with a late run of good fish even as late as October. Mind you it was touch and go and he did have to take 3 days off work to do it now that’s what I call dedication. Well done to Mick but if Jim Roper could just let him know it he won’t be so lucky this year it would be much appreciated.

Last week I walked down to the harbour and saw some good thins to 4lb and some thicks mouthing the bottom which looked encouraging.

Temps have increased since then and with quite a warm day in prospect today I am going down to give it my first bash! I do find low water to be more productive at this time of year because the shallow water seems to heat up a little more and often will bring them onto the feed.

This year I have invested in a quiver tip rod and I have been told by a very experienced mullet fisherman that used to be chairman of the mullet club that fishing for them tight on the bottom produced more fish than any other method. I think I am going to try to use a open ended swim feeder and fish for them like you would big Roach. Any one tried this concept before?

Also I thought this year we might have a little competition between us all to see who produces the most fish this year and also who gets the biggest grey. What do you think?

I've fished for mullet with an open-ended cage swim-feeder, but fishing on the bottom I've been pestered with crabs.

Sometimes they simply snip off the hooklength! :(

So, now I fish the swimfeeder dangly-down, lowered beneath the rod top, sometimes fished just off the bottom where the crabs can't reach it.

The problem is that the mullet will often knock the feeder about, without touching the hook bait.

Exciting in coloured water when you can't see what's actually going on down there, but frustrating because you don't know if your bait has been taken.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Thanks Leon. Yes I have experienced those crabs as well and the snipped hooklengths and thats on a float. This might be a bit over kill but how amount using a PVA Bag attached to a two hook patanoster rig that is high enough to keep the crabs away from your hook bait?

the best way i have found is to loose feed with nipped bread flake. Fish by a pontoon or from the bank of a marina start of fishing around three foot deep with a float. keep puting the lose feed in little and often, bait up a fair sized area, you are trying to induce the mullet to feed then to search for the food this indues compition and often resultsw in a feeding frenzy.

I understand you guys seem to like to fish verry dificult marks but i preffure to fish my local area as it has lots of good mullet....and easy to catch

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

I dont fish until the mullet marks are showing in numbers, there are nun yet on the crouch or blackwater or the flats inbetween,.,.,

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Norm B:

Norm B:

has anyone spotted any thicklips yet?

:cool: My wife may be going shopping in Chichester today so I'm going to try a spot that I've had mullet up to 4lb in April before, although the weather was warmer then and high tide was mid-day, not evening. I wouldn't normally even think about it but it could just work, and if it doesn't, so what, if my luck's in I'll let you know. :D
:cool: Well, plenty of twitches, some plucks and a couple of firm pulls that I struck at but didn't connect with, give it another week and they'll be in the net. :D