Portland Harbour/ Balaclava Bay Squidding

SpeciMan

On the drive down to Portland Zzippy and I pulled into Denning Tackle - a tackle shop near the Ferrybridge end of Chesil Beach. We hadn't planned to go squidding but as the tackleshop was open and squid jigs aren't available at our local tackleshops we picked a few up. In turn, Zzippy and I received excellent advice from Denning about squidding & also about the part of the harbour and surrounding area we were planning to fish. :thumbs:

The conger fishing for us was slow last night, with dogfish taking the baits. We gave the conger fishing a good few hours but also spent time drifting around the southern breakwater searching for squid holding areas.

Zzippy was squidding for dinner & I was squidding for big cod baits. We each caught one (apparently daytime is best down there). Mine came first and I didn't realise I had one on the jig until it surfaced. A jet of water shot about 7feet in front me.

surfacesquid.jpg

surfacesquid2.jpg

My new bait tank was switched on and the first resident was put in. :clap2:

squidintank2.jpg

The jig was easily removed from the squid. The squid soon settled in the tank & with the red light on and the hatch cover closed it made itself at home. Influenced by the light, the squid turned a reddy brown colour.

squidintank3.jpg

It stayed in there for a couple of hours whilst Zzippy and I drifted and paddled down to Phooey and Richi who were fishing a mark outside the harbour. When it was time for the squid to meet its maker it inked the tank. I found it hard to hook the squid whilst trying to keep it alive (any tips?). When my trace was dropped over the side the squid slipped off the hook :wallbash::wallbash::lol:

Zzippy's squid came a few hours later after he had tried jigging whilst fishing for conger. He paddled over to me to where I was drifting a wreck. A larger squid lay sprawled on his bow. Given their ink and sharp beaks he didn't want to deal with this creature & neither did I!. He lifted his rod with jig and squid attached and swung the squid up and over into my inked bait tank.

zipsquidintank.jpg

zip-squidintank2.jpg

Again, this squid soon settled in the tank. A few hours later I checked up on it. Shining my headtorch into the tank the squid immediately turned translucent. Sat at the bottom it eye balled me came up to the surface and shot a jet of water at my face.

squid-eye.jpg

I didn't mind too much.. it's not me who will be in the frying pan today :whistling:

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Now either that bait tank is smaller than I imagine or that is a mahoosive squid :D yum yum I am drooling with envy ;)

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

Wow! Fantastic pics and writing - and what a different prey! Never heard of anyone going after squid like that here, didn't know how it was done (saw jigs in Spain as a kid) and am quite astonished. Great to see the bait tank in use too.

They'd be alright those ones. It's when you get half a dozen in the tank worth a pound apiece you want to worry about their health. You don't want six quid in your tank....

I'll get my coat

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

Fantastic Speciman---wish I'd had a go too! :wallbash:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Fantastic Speciman---wish I'd had a go too! :wallbash:

Squid has been prepared and ready to cook :) There is 2lb's of meat.When I got it out of the Bucket this morning he was still alive.It wraped its tenticles round my hand and wouldnt let go.

Looks like Next day I have off,I will go squid fishing

zzippy2.gif

Brilliant stuff guys, didn't know that you could jig for Squid!

2006 Launches: 8

2006 Species: 5

2007 Species: 19

2007 Launches: 42

2008 Species: 21

2008 Launches: 51

2009 Species: 24

2009 Launches: 47

2010 Launches 35

2010 Species 25

2011 Launches 23

2011 Species 20

The Portland/Weymouth area is well known as a place to try for them this time of year. I'm sure there are squid more local to me out in Christchurch and Poole Bay but the squid hotspots may be harder to find. As they don't tend to give noticeable bites (just feel their resistance when jigging) our baits could be visited by squid more than we realise. If you're out fishing and the bait or fish you are catching have beak marks on them its a sign there is squid or cuttlefish around.

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow