Greenpeace

Ian Burrett

@AUTUMN@:

@AUTUMN@:

Originally posted by @AUTUMN@:

[qb] . I do know that the days of a trawler filling an articulated lorry with boxes of black fish is a thing of the past!

Is it true that articulated lorries were filled with Black fish?

Lets hope those days are over. Shame they werent stopped 5 years ago then the cod situation may not be as dire as it is now.

The grapevine is certainly a lot quieter than it was 2 years ago. I hope this means the activity stopped rather than they just learned that shouting about huge over quota hauls was bound to bring trouble.

Yes, it is true. But now that there is a deterrent, UK fishermen are realising they must obey the rules. It is time DEFRA gave instructions to the Navy not to single out British boats, but to board and check all other EU fishing boats. Hopefully the rest of the EU fishermen would then come to the same realisation.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest johnfranz

There’s no quotas anymore, or at least not for now autumn.

They don’t work or at least they didn’t work. Now it’s all to do with days at sea.

Your thoughts that you have had or have on commercial fishermen, I wouldn’t dream of trying to change.

As long as they are badly advised people like you who occasionally cast there line from a safe spot (cheese rock) catch very little, believe the reason that they have caught very little is everybody’s fault but there’s. Then along comes a friend who says trawlers are to blame for your unproductive night you had last night. You being you not me agree with your knowledgeable friend who spends many a day trying to catch same fish as you.

Who do you turn to? Along comes green peace. Read this autumn they say join us, lets repair the world.

So you do, you join, you repair the world.

Next day your mate who is trying to make a living taking anglers to sea says, **** me.

I have been told that now like the commercial ***** we to have to keep a log book on what we catch, we too can only spend 15 days a month at sea. Our anglers are only allowed to take home 3 fish per man per trip.

We have the north eastern guardian checking all our permits every day and boarding us to make sure no angler has more that he should have. The crew and skipper of the guardian are delighted as there jobs are safe as long as there are boats going to sea to catch fish.

This I know autumn is a nightmare scenario, but it is what will happen, if you let it.

So think before you sink is my motto. O yes 1973 was a good year for the fishing industry; I can name 9 people who started in Whitby alone same year as I did.

Old Man of the Sea:

Yes, it is true. But now that there is a deterrent, UK fishermen are realising they must obey the rules. It is time DEFRA gave instructions to the Navy not to single out British boats, but to board and check all other EU fishing boats. Hopefully the rest of the EU fishermen would then come to the same realisation.
Hmmmm!

The current crackdown seems to have come from pressure by the EU when it singled out the UK (and Spain) to get its act together on enforcement.

See: http://europa.eu.int/comm/fisheries/news_c...inf03_50_en.htm

Which led to the 'Bradley' report.

See: http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/consult/...h-env/index.htm

Meanwhile, the EU is keeping a close eye on the enforcement regime of all the EU countries.

See:

http://europa.eu.int/comm/fisheries/scoreb...rd/index_en.htm

http://europa.eu.int/comm/fisheries/scoreb...03/index_en.htm

http://europa.eu.int/comm/fisheries/doc_et...m_03_344_en.pdf

And of course the EU now has a new Enforcement Agency tasked with ensuring that the rules are applied the same throughout the EU.

http://europa.eu.int/comm/fisheries/agency...cy/index_en.htm

http://europa.eu.int/comm/fisheries/news_c...inf04_15_en.htm

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

OMOTS - My views on Europe are not relevent as it is not me claiming to be objective, but just for your curiosity I am swayed in niether direction but am damn sure I will not be influenced by the anti euro stance of our media. My point was that from your comments it was evident you were anti europe which would obviously effect your objectivity when discussing the pro's and cons of the EU.

With regards to your comments about the Navey and DEFRA. I have recently read a pdf document which describes what happened to the Headway skipper and I must agree with you that this is a sorry state of affairs. With regard to the second person you mention, to date I have read nothing that states DEFRA were wrong, Is there an article available about this issue?. The last I read was that the Navey and DEFRA were persuing the matter, has this moved on since then, has a similer apology been issued?

Binatone, As I told you 4 pages ago I have read hundreds of articles about the state of our fishery. Every Link Leon posts I take the time to read. There is a large amount of existing independent Literature that points the finger of blaim for the state of our fishery and fisheries around the world at the doors of the commercial fishermen.

Closer to home I keep my ear very close to the ground, as im sure your aware the local grapevine bares some very ripe fruit. Although you think I take the majority of my local info from Big Cod I am afraid my friend that you are wrong. My sources are many and varied and probably include many of your friends and colleagues. To date I have heared nothing from you, (other than your own opinion), that makes me think you are well advised on this issue. Perhaps you should have a little sit on robin hoods bay wall tonight, in between taking 2 ton of Kelp off your hook and think of a way you could begin to persuade me that your version of the truth is the one I should be listening too. If you took a leaf out of the books of some of your colleagues in the fishing industry and quoted something about seals, Global warming or an extract from a peice of work undertaken from the commercial fishermens purse by Cefas for example you may begin to sound more credible. Your opinion alone will not sway me.

binatone:

Originally posted by @AUTUMN@:

[qb]

You did get something correct. I got loads of weed on the sea wall this morning. Was going to slip it on the scales and let you know how much, but then again you would not have believed me.

Rh bay wall. Great fishing if you can avoid the weed which is at its worst about now but doesnt really improve too much as the year progresses. Avoid the area like the plague if there is easterly motion in the water. Sometimes winding down tight on a grip lead can help.

Guest johnfranz

Well thanks for the advice about fishing at RHB. Went out in boat this morning south side of bay did ok.

This thread I believe was when it started about Greenpeace. I have said to you what I think may happen if you go all out in favour of the tree huggers.

As for having a conversation with someone who has gone out of there way to try and discredit me before I have had any chance of having a discussion with anyone on this forum. I think not autumn. You should think before you act. Just because someone new comes on this forum who has not got the same views as you, don’t jump in with allegations that at the end of the day made you look as stupid as the allegations that you where making.

Some people make some great points on this forum and go to a lot of time in finding out what they need to know and passing on that information to help others or use the information to help them selves in a lively debate.

I respect them for that. What I don’t respect is have to stand weeks of pathetic accusations thrown at me as to who I am, who I am associated with from the likes of you autumn.

So when you start to respect me as being just another forum user like yourself then maybe I will talk to you in more depth into my thoughts on fishing, weather it be commercial or angling.

The conversation about who you are, was only banter m8 please dont take it the wrong way. As I already explained your comment about treble hooks led me to believe you were someone I knew. I have apologised for that. If you wish to remain anonymous for whatever reason I respect that, it is your choice, and as I said several pages earlier I mean you know harm, we may even know each other.

This thread was originally about greepeace but like so many others has shot off at several tangents. The point I was making about yourself was In response to your above post

"As long as they are badly advised people like you who occasionally cast there line from a safe spot (cheese rock) catch very little, believe the reason that they have caught very little is everybody’s fault but there’s. Then along comes a friend who says trawlers are to blame for your unproductive night you had last night. You being you not me agree with your knowledgeable friend who spends many a day trying to catch same fish as you."

You appear to accuse me of being ill informed. My above post was quite simply a reply to the point you chose to make. My above post was pointing out that from where I am standing you have offered little to convince me you are well informed. You do not have a reasoned argument or in fact any argument at all as far as I can see that will make me view the situation from a diffrent perspective

As with all forums you have the right to reply as do I. Your failure to do so leads me to beleieve you have little more to offer than a biased point of view.

@AUTUMN@:

OMOTS - My views on Europe are not relevent as it is not me claiming to be objective, but just for your curiosity I am swayed in niether direction but am damn sure I will not be influenced by the anti euro stance of our media. My point was that from your comments it was evident you were anti europe which would obviously effect your objectivity when discussing the pro's and cons of the EU.

With regards to your comments about the Navey and DEFRA. I have recently read a pdf document which describes what happened to the Headway skipper and I must agree with you that this is a sorry state of affairs. With regard to the second person you mention, to date I have read nothing that states DEFRA were wrong, Is there an article available about this issue?. The last I read was that the Navey and DEFRA were persuing the matter, has this moved on since then, has a similer apology been issued?

You are quite correct - I am anti-EU. We only joined EFTA and were conned into being a part of Europe. However, I think I can hold an unbiased view on all things to do with the sea, which is mostly what this forum is about. I guess time will tell.

As far as I am aware, no document has been produced by the Navy or DEFRA with regard to the second incident mentioned. I bumped into the skipper of the vessel about a month ago and we discussed the matter. He has not been charged with anything as yet. He keeps making requests to DEFRA to either charge him or apologise to him. To date, at that time, they had totally ignored his requests.

One thing both these cases have in common is that when the skippers of the trawlers asked for the name of the Navy skipper, this information was refused them. It gives the impression that, unlike the rest of the British justice system, fishermen are presumed guilty until proven innocent.

Over to you! (But no more tonight, please!)