Is it worth fishing this weekend?

Salar

Calm sea predicted, tides OK for getting the boat out, but....mid Feb? Off the IoW and Hampshire? Is it worth the effort? What do you think....

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Salar:

Calm sea predicted, tides OK for getting the boat out, but....mid Feb? Off the IoW and Hampshire? Is it worth the effort? What do you think....

I have been reading loads of reports on good Cod being caught off the IoW (in SAN) It has to be worth a go. Why not email Rob Thompson for the very latest info.

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

The proof of the pudding: nearly all the Langstone charter boats were tied up and some were on chocks for the February makeover. Not very inspiring! However, when I got out there, there were a surprising number of private boats having a go. Most were catching just a few dogs and pout, one had a conger of 20lb, and one a 12lb cod. My tally for the day was a cod of 11lb, a bass of about 2lb, a strap conger, a small ray and a pout. Not what you would normally expect from a days boat fishing but not a bad day for February - calm sea, mild temperatures and plenty of coffee and sandwiches...

Salar:

My tally for the day was a cod of 11lb, a bass of about 2lb, a strap conger, a small ray and a pout. Not what you would normally expect from a days boat fishing but not a bad day for February - calm sea, mild temperatures and plenty of coffee and sandwiches...

A nice day out AND fish, what more could you ask for :D

You watch, when we get 6 weeks of Easterlys you will say "glad I went out that day".

Nice Cod but you just had to rub it in with the BASS :P

Alan(nl) :D

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Alan Taylor:

Nice Cod but you just had to rub it in with the BASS :P

Alan(nl) :D

What's all this about Bass, Alan? They're regarded as nuisence fish round here, along with doggies and pout

Seriously, I've noticed a major come-back in the last few years, I can't put it down to my skills improving! Probably due to the creation and enforcement of nursery areas in Southampton Water, Portsmouth, Langstone and Chichester harbours - all ideal spawning and nursery gounds for bass. In the autumn they shoal up and behave like mackeral, and every year the shoaling fish have got bigger.