Line lay on a multiplier

Bob on Stronsay

Sorry about this "Low level" question but I have no one else to ask as I am the only person on Stronsay using CT multipliers.

I went out yesterday with my new Penn 525 GS for a spot of rock fishing. This was the reels first serious cast into water and I was casting a 3oz lead on 20lb line with a jelly worm looking for Pollock.

At first all went well, I was managing to cast much further than I had done with previous reels with level winds. After about 15 casts I managed to birdsnest. I sorted this out and got off another few casts but then snagged up again and again and again. The tourist I took with me managed to catch a Pollock and was happy so we headed for home and I will refill the spool with fresh line.

My question is this.

When you lay line on to a CT multiplier how much side to side motion should you use to lay on the line? Should it be ///// from side to side every turn? Or should it run on much less pronounced? I have watched many TV programs and see the experts and they don't seem to lay the line on with much care. :confused:

Bob

PS The reconditioned ABU Atlantic 484 worked very well.

Hi bob, good to here from you again.

Just think of a reel with a levelwind, the closer you can get to that action the better. Dont worry too much mate after a few outings itll be second nature, you wont even realise you are doing it. If the reel keeps birdnesting in this way slow it down with the magnets and endcap untill you get used to it.

If its the 525 GS and not the 525 Mag, check the break blocks are on.

525 GS take off the L/H side panel, the break blocks on later models have white plastic breaks which you have to adjust, on or off. Either they have two or four and you can adjust to what ever combination that suits you.

I would go for putting all break blocks on then relesing as you get more used to the reel.

Don't over tighten the end spool tension, just enough to slow it down, then again as you progress un do with just slight adjustments.

Eventualy you will have the reel fine tuned for your requirements.

Tip:- Don't let others handle your reel as they tend to turn buttons and star drags which in turn undoes your fine adjustments.

Cheers 4 Now

John E

ANBanna.gif

Yes it is the GS (Couldn't justify the extra price for the MAG and the GS seems to be a well respected reel if somewhat forgotten). I have not opened it up yet as I wanted to try it out.

I think the problem wasn't really a set up issue as it was casting well but seemed to happen because I wasn't laying the line correctly.

I was laying on slowly so each turn was layed near the next one, not like a level wind would from side to side.

I will be testing it with heavier leads during the week with a bit of beach casting/fishing.

Bob

Sorry I hadnt realised it was the gs. Nothing wrong at all with this reel . Ensuring the brake blocks are fitted will be time well spent though bob, especially when you start casting into wind or even with a following wind which can cause you problems.

Im not sure if the penn reels are like the sloshes but they come with no blocks fitted, which causes casting problems.

Hi Bob - if you lay the line on "straight" there is a risk that a coil will bury itself, particularily after you have played a fish or got snagged. This can cause the reel to snatch on casting and birds nest, braid is much worse for this than mono. I prefer laying line side to side (like a levelwind would) so that the line is supported by the layer underneath, the line can't then bury itself in the spool. You still have to get a bit of tension on when you spool up though.

Some people advocate wetting the line when you spool up, seems to lay the line on better. Don't really know why it should though.

Hope that makes some sort of sense

Bob

just read through this again bob. No question is low level mate, please feel free to ask whatever you like whenever you want, after all that is exactly what this and other forums should be about. People who have the answers only have them because they asked when they were learning.

hows the fishing going up there?

Ideally the line should be applied one layer at a time.

bob@3dsportfishing makes a good point about 'burying' though.

If you spread it about too much you will have the tendancy to cause slackness and this will result in over-runs.

If the spool is over-full, fitting heavier brake blocks (or a double set) might help, but this is something I have yet to try.

The new GS reels that I have , both had their brake blocks clipped in the 'off' position when bought. They have to be pushed outward on the shaft 'without dropping them on the floor'.

Remember that, to obtain the longest cast, you have to be on the brink of an over-run all the time.

To control the spool speed during and at the end of the cast, thumb the side shoulder of the spool, not the line, especially if you have wound it on too loosely.

Where is Poledark when you really need him?

[ 19. September 2004, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Looking at the line I think bob@3dsportfishing has it right (It was also what I was thinking). The line seemed to bury itself. As I said I was casting away with no problems getting good distance. Conditions were not good and I had a tourist with me so I let him have the one good spot and I was working over a ledge some 20ft in front of me and I snagged and after that I could not get a decent (Or any) cast, even after I sorted out the birdsnest. I striped off the line today and there were loads of kinks in it at about the birdsnest area and I am sure these were causing the problems after snagging. I think the line had buried itself so my policy from now on will be:

Loads of tension and lots of /// on the reel when spooling up from now on.

As a few of you know I had been after a new reel for months but couldn't make up my mind (Penn Mag, Slosh 20 etc) seeing as the Mags had gone up in price I went for 2 525 GS's. I am very impressed with the pulling power out of kelp.

In reply to Winter. I saw the forecast last Friday and got my boat out of the water for the year (It can get rough up here) and yesterday's trip was the first shore fishing done this side of summer and I am just getting geared up for all of those Dabs and Plaice I am going to catch in the coming months. We found a (We went for a walk to the south end of the island) new beach that as far as we know has never seen a rod (I doubt if more than 5 people walk on it in a year has it cannot be seen from anywere else on the island and is at the back of a farm). It is steeper than the other beaches on the island and faces the North Sea so we will be trying it out for Cod etc. I will let you all know how we get on.

Many thanks for the replies.

Bob