First session with the pole

Sportsman

Finally got out on Saturday for my first ever attempt at pole fishing.

two hour drive to the fishery and when I got there it was blowing a hooly and lashing with rain, so drove around the pond to try and find a sheltered swim. It was a bit wet and I managed to find a waterlogged spot which led to getting the car bogged down. Had to get the fishery owner to pull me out with his tractor.

Finally got to fishing but too windy to try the pole so fished the waggler with moderate success.

Around 4.00 pm the wind had dropped so out with the pole for the first time.

A bit of fiddling about with luckily no-one around to watch, and I'm fishing at 8m with the pole. I caught 3 small roach pretty quickly so I have broken my duck but then had a bite from something altogether more substantial. Only had it on for a few seconds and the elastic snapped just behind the connector. As the pole was a super cheapy I didnt have spare tops so that was the end of the pole fishing for the day. The pole has now been re-elasticted thanks to the freebys that Medwaygreen sent me, with a bit more attention paid to knot tying ;)

Meanwhile, back on the fishery I finished off the session with the waggler rod and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Highlight of the day however was to have an Osprey hunting right over my head, and watching him take a carp of around 1.5lb right in front of me. :)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Sounds like you had an enjoyable day mate :thumbs:

Welcome to the wonderful world of using a pole. I started off using a Ron Thompson Zensorflex 8m pole that weighed a ton - didnt catch anything memorable however decided that fishing with a pole was the way forward for me. I upgraded to a shakespeare 11m Xcede which served me well for a while. This pole was also really heavy but served a purpose. I snapped my no 4 section after landing my first double figure carp :o

I then bought a new pole which was an 11m Garbolino Mystery Carp that also served me well however the no 4 section ground down at an alarming rate until it split. I "repaired" it so that it was usable but as I was getting more confident with a pole and wanted to fish at longer lengths I decided to upgrade again. The Garbolino will be passed onto my daughter for her to use :P

My new pole is a 14.5m Maver Powerlite that I bought secondhand. The pole is awesome and is in mint condition with loads of extras. It is sooooo light and can be handled with one hand even up to 13m - I cant believe I used to manage with the others!

I hope that you will also enjoy the pole and go on to use it all the time!

**hInt** I have found that taking a small tip rod along when fishing the pole is beneficial for those windy days!

I too do a lot of pole fishing these days. As I cannot hold a pole at distance for too long I use an "up and under! I find that shipping the pole out and fitting it into these holders, if the line from pole to float is short enough, it even becomes self hooking!

It is also suitable if the weather is a BIT blowy!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription