chieftain 94hr

damian

WELL A 94HR TRIP....IT'S GOT TO BE 60 EACH..BUT YOU CAN ALWAYS TAKE HOOKS OFF AND USE AS WEIGHT WITH HOOKIAS/SHADS ETC ON A TRACE..GOOD LUCK...NEVER DONE IT BEFORE..SORRY I HAVE HAVE..IF YOU NEED PIRKS WITH STRINGS AND HOOKIAS GIVE ME A BELL...YOU HAVE ALOT OF FISHING TIME TO FILL,AND IT WILL BE GOOD ON A TRIP THAT LENGHT..SO EMAIL IF YOU WANT ANYMORE INFO

hi chaps,

for any of you who have been on one of these trips what would you consider to be a sensible amount of pirks to be taking for six of us.

cheers damian

Hi Damian........

I've been fishing on this boat a couple of times and all i can tell you is , from my own experience anyway , is to take a little more than you need. It's always better to have too much than not enough (there ain't many tackle shops out there). That's not an excuse to sink the boat with Lead but , an educated estimation.

Whenever i have been fishing on the boat , I ALWAYS JIG , i never do any bait fishing (i can't hack it -- no patience i suppose) and on a 70 hr trip which is 2 days fishing , as a 94 is 3 days fishing, i seem to budget on on around 15-20 pirks a day. To be honest though , i can't remember the last time i lost 15 pirks in one day. Not trying to blow my trumpet , i have learned (the expensive and hard way) of constantly watching all the anglers (sad really , i know) and watching them get caught on the bottom , either due to them letting their gear trawl along the bottom or whatever, with a quick couple of winds on the reel and dropping back down the lee-side of the wreck "usually" works wonders.

If you have any questions , don't hesitate to ring George.

Hope this helps ..

Mr M

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

hi chaps,

for any of you who have been on one of these trips what would you consider to be a sensible amount of pirks to be taking for six of us.

cheers damian

Merry Christmas Damien, Wallcot and Mr Motorola

I agrea with Wallcot 20 each per day should see you OK

Like Mr Motorola (who I fished next to last 94 hr trip) I tend to watch other anglers and wind up a few turns if I see people getting snagged on a drift.

I must admit I have never lost more than 15 in a day.

Mind you I always get rid of the trebles and I tie assit hooks from the top of the pirk.

I use 80lb braid main line with a short 50 lb mono link onto my 100lb leader which is about 12foot long.

This enables easy lifting of cod up to 15lb. You can get a grip Ok and it absorbs the first dive of the fish.

Nowadays (lack of strenght) I only tie one Hokie, Shad etc above the pirk.

As Johm Brennan and most Whitby skippers say if you are pirking Pirk

If you are bait fishing use bait only.

Not the two together.

This is the last 94hr trip

100finalnov2008.jpg

Some happy memories of the Chieftain

100_0469-1.jpg

100_0472-1.jpg

100_1710.jpg

IVANBELLTRIO36HRS300606002.jpg

assortment033.jpg

assortment202.jpg

assortment212.jpg

Looking forward to fishing with you again Damien but this 94 hr trip in March may be a rough one

:P:P

Edited by Deepseacodmaster

Hope you lot got over xmas ok...Carl and his team...and Ivan it's nice to know your about...but i must say that using single pirk with one hook will win you a bigger fish..you know that with what I have had the biggest for for 2 years so far..HAPPY NEW YEAR TO U ALL..HAVE YOU HEARD FROM JB,HE'S BACK IN TOWN...Rods Blazing as they say in the new year...CHEERS TO ALL AND HAPPY NEW YEAR...THE CODMASTER

Hi Damian

Happy New Year.

Not wishing to detract from any comments made by the bunch of esteamed and experienced rod masters who have already replyed to your query.

There are of cause so many variables to consider, wind, tide, depth of water,to name but a few, even the type and breaking strain ie nylon or braid plays a part in the selection and efficency of your perk.

In my limited experience I observe what Is probably obvious to a lot, the more adornments you attatch above your perks also the greater the diamiter of your line equells greater tideage you will encounter.

Another major consideration, is the profile of your perk ie fast dropper, Norwegen, Herring, Gersey Yan and so on, all have different influences on tideage and indeed all on their day all have a useful place in ones arsenal.

For me a good rule of thumb would be fast droppers, a mix of weights prodominantly 500gram with a few lighter and a few up to 750gram, the lighter and heavier would not be often used but in my experience

at one end of the spectrem would allow particullaly around slack water on a calm day a more sporting and sensative approach to be made particually if used minus other adornments.

The 750 or larger may not come out for an entire season but would allow productive fishing to continue long after a lesser weights are streaming away from the boat and many fathoms above the heads of the fish.

As for numbers, how long is a piece of string!!

I for my part would always carry an allowance of 15 a day of the main size and a back up of 4 per day of the others.

This may seem a lot of pirks on multy day trips it adds up to a lot of lead but worst case, if you the angler don't take the perk to the fish It sure as hell won't go to your shed and fetch It.

One could go on all day on this subject but I found on the trips off that I made as you go with a willing ness and desire to extract from the trip as much as possible both in tips and shared experiences with your fellow anglers this Is what you will do.

After all by the very nature of the trip you must spend many hours travelling over the waves, this time I have found to be prodominantly spent in the willing exchange of tales and tips amongst like minded Individuals.

\Hope these thoughts and comments are of some use to you.

Good luck to you and to all the chaps who's aquantance I have made through the sea I wish a Happy anh Healthy New Year.

Regards

Paddy w

Hi Paddy W, nice to have spent some time on the phone with you today. Have a word with Ivan when you catch up with him and ask him if he has forgotten all i taught him last year about pulling up the tiddlers, his photo on the above post is evidence enough for me. :)

Hopefully we can meet up there sometime this year with John and have a bit of a crack, you to Ivan. take care, regards.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Hi Paddy W, nice to have spent some time on the phone with you today. Have a word with Ivan when you catch up with him and ask him if he has forgotten all i taught him last year about pulling up the tiddlers, his photo on the above post is evidence enough for me. :)

Hopefully we can meet up there sometime this year with John and have a bit of a crack, you to Ivan. take care, regards.

Hi Barry

Did you get the photos?

A trick I learned from Stu Johnson is to rig the pirk treble hook the right way. A treble is always one hook soldered onto two others. If you rig it one way on the split ring 2 hooks will face down. If you rig it the other way one hook will face down. Rig it so one hook faces down, then clip the hook off with pliers so that the 2 remaining hooks face up. You will lose a lot less pirks this way.

This works best with Norwegian pirks or bar pirks that have a slight bend in them. If you buy or use straight bar pirks this will not work because gravity will force the 2 remaining hooks to point downwards. The remedy is to bend the pirk. I usually do this in a road drain cover outside the tackle shop.

If your confused I'll post a drawing. :huh:

wildcard

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.