Where do I start?

Haven't a Clue

As Alan said, a day with someone who knows (basically!) what they're doing is the best thing to get you started. It needn't be a qualified coach. If you're anywhere near Oxford you're welcome to spend a day with me if you like.

Many thanks for your kind offer, but due to the distance and other commitments, it's not possible for me at the present time. But in a couple of months time that could change. Once again, many thanks.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No problem, in the meantime there are a couple of good basic books that always get recommended, but I can't remember what they are. Can anyone help out?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

No problem, in the meantime there are a couple of good basic books that always get recommended, but I can't remember what they are. Can anyone help out?

Fox have a range of extremely well illustrated books on fishing, i have the modern pike one here with me.

My PB's

[Tench-8lb] [Carp-17lb] [bream-7lb] [Pike-12lb] [Roach-1lb] [Rudd-14oz] [Crucian-2lb]

It would be much appreciated if someone could recommend any books, that go right back to the basics

I've looked through the old topics, and this is the one that always gets recommended: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JOHN-WILSONS-COARSE-...A1%7C240%3A1318

'John Wilson's Coarse Fishing Method Manual'

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

That's the one Anderoo !

It covers everything you need to get started in simple terms.

Check out the local library for a copy, or there's usually one or two knocking about on ebay for modest sums.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

I found myself in exactly the same situation back in the summer - I found my local tackle shop (Garry Evan's in Cardiff) was excellent place to start - I wondered in feeling a little sheepish and explained I was a complete newbie and they spent well over an hour getting me kitted out with the basics, loading line onto my reel, showing me how to cast, explaining how to fish, how to tie the knots I'd need and how to remove hooks - basically everything I needed to give me enough confidence to get on to the bank and catch some fish.

My next stop was the baliff at our local lake - he was superb in introducing me to the water, showing me where was fishing and answering all of my questions.

Before I'd even cast a line just talking to these guys helped me out immensley. I found looking around online at tackle and methods absolutly overwhelming, but a couple of hours in the shop and on the bank with the help of the locals was invaluable in sorting out what I needed.

In terms of books John Wilson's method manual is a good book for introducing the basics - however as a newbie I've found it a bit lacking in detail in places - I picked up a copy (secondhand) from amazon before christmas for just under six quid delivered.

All in all don't worry about looking like an idiot on the bank - there's nothing like getting it wrong to figure out how to get it right, I've had my fair share of tangles and embarassing attempts at a cast over the last few months, but it's all taught me a little - so get out there and give it a go. From my experience the majority of experienced anglers on the bank won't laugh at you - most are more than happy to show you where you're going wrong and offer some advice.

In terms of books John Wilson's method manual is a good book for introducing the basics - however as a newbie I've found it a bit lacking in detail in places - I picked up a copy (secondhand) from amazon before christmas for just under six quid delivered.

I've sourced a copy from the library for now, just waiting for it to arrive. In what areas do you find it lacking in detail?

I've sourced a copy from the library for now, just waiting for it to arrive. In what areas do you find it lacking in detail?

It's a great book from the point of view of of introducing loads of differnent methods and how to apply them to different types of waters, but for me it just doesn't get into the detail enough for each situation.

I think for me I'd be better off with something a bit more specific to the types of water that I have locally or the couple of methods that I own tackle for would be more useful rather than something that covers every type of water / method around - indeed my next book purchase will be far more targeted on the type of fishing I want to do rather than a general guide to everything.

As books go though it's a great introduction to the entire spectrum of coarse fishing and a very worthwhile read.