Exotic baits going cheap!

rufus

I go to college just round the corner from Londons Chinatown and recently took a peep at the frozen seafood section in the Chinese supermarkets. What an eye opener! They have the most incredible selection of strange sea food just perfect for bait and so cheap its silly. I saw big blocks of frozen tiger prawns, estimate 100+ individuals in some blocks, retailing anywhere from £8.50 - $16.00 per block. Thats 8.5 -16p per bait which makes them a serious alternative to standard baits. Calamari in standard boxes at £1.25 a shot. Huge squid, squid rings, squid for any occasion ! Razorfish chunks and bags of what must be thousands of raw anchovies, a whole load of small exotic fish types that I have never heard of but am willing to experiment with. Get down to chinatown and check it out!

Sounds good to me, Rufus. Those tiger prawns would go down well with the carp boys, too!

Now, did any of them offer mail order....?

Tight lines,

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Yeah, I think a lot of anglers have cottoned on to getting their bait from places ither than tackle shops. There is a chinese supermarket in Newcastle that does 1lb boxes of Calamari for £1.05p and we've been going there for ages and so we get a crate each time to go in our freezer. Thats 24 boxes for £20.odd not even a £1 a box! It's about £2.50 for a box of it in the tackle shops! Also can get mussels, clams, razorfish etc...... all at North Shields Fish Quay. The Spanish are fond of Razorfish, so the fishmonger does a tray of the stuff, all meat -no shells for around £2. There is about 15-20 razorfish in the pack, whereas in the tackle shop, the ammo packs have 4-5 in for around the same price, sometimes more. :)

When the seas been up, I like to use runnydown with a nice big clump of cock clam and razor on the bottom of my pennel. It's a shame so many people don't try too many different baits out. I know a lad who recently caught an 18lb + shore caught cod on lug and limpets!

Guest stevie cop

Ant, was that Ada's fish?

Anyway, get down to illingsgate market, isle of dogs, london. 0500 to 0830 in the morning. very, very, cheap bait!!!

I've got a mate who drives lorries full of King Prawns, Scallops etc over to Europe, so when he is home he drops some into the pub for us. I have a club comp. on Sunday and I'm going to give the Scallops (the ones I couldnt eat) a go on my hook. I was told that the prawn are ace baits for doggies, so will try some of those as well.

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Yes Mario, I went to Wales with him at the end of last month and he's as daft as he makes out to be on the forum! Can't argue with his catches though and it's not the first time he's had monster fish right outside his house either! Lucky bugger, location wise anyway. I've used limpet a few times too, though mainly for wrasse and they do catch plenty of fish.