Exotic baits going cheap!

rufus

Guest stevie cop

Ant

What type of limpets are they? Are they the normal Igloo shape ones or are they a different type? I can collect mussels and ordinary limpets on the beaches near me, but I've never tried them for bait. Are they that good?

mario:

Ant

What type of limpets are they? Are they the normal Igloo shape ones or are they a different type? I can collect mussels and ordinary limpets on the beaches near me, but I've never tried them for bait. Are they that good?

Slipper-limpets (shells browny-pink and white inside, oval shaped as the name suggests) can be excellent for cod. You need several on a hook.

Following the recent storm, I would expect stacks of them to get washed ashore at Dungeness and similar places.

They often occur in clumps of half-a dozen or so stuck together - very considerate of them Also useful to use slipper-limpet and lug on the same hook.

Have never caught much with ordinary (conical-shaped) limpets - rockling, sea-scorps, blennies, small wrasse will take them, but can't remember ever catching anything sizeable with them.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Norrie:

I've got a mate who drives lorries full of King Prawns, Scallops etc over to Europe,

Next time he comes over, ask him to drop me some scallops off for me please, I just love em but could'nt afford to buy them.

When I was a member of

Wool (Dorset) RBL SAC we had a trip to the Isle of Aran for a weeks boat fishing, we started of by catching a box of jumbo makerel for bait, the skipper could'nt understand why, he had sacks full of king scallops in his fish room for us. Great for Cod and Haddock.

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

• 2 months later...