Baitpumps

MarkV

Baitpumps! Now what is that all about? I seen them advertised with the ads saying things like they make your life easier. What do you do with them? (Careful now!) Stick in in the ground, couple of pumps and the worms get blown to the surface or something? The pictures I seen just look like a cosh with a bit sticking out the side.

Please enlighten me.

Ta

For a second there I though you meant something else.

Bait pumps, judging by the pictures, are for boats. You attach them to your chum bucket and it pumps the stuff under the water through a special opening in the bottom of the boat.

Posted Image

or is that the other way around? Might it be used to pump fresh sea water into live fish bait tank while on the boat?

Posted Image

I suspect the "baitpumps" you are referring to are the lugworm gathering hand pumps.

Looking like an old Stirrup Pump, The nozzle is placed in the worms hole and the handle is withdrawn, theoretically sucking the worm out of its hole in the soft mud, you then "squirt" the baitpumps contents(hopefully a lugworm, but usually bits of a lugworm) in to a bucket.

I,m positive, that in skilled hands its an awesome bait gathering machine.

I bought one 10-15 years ago and threw it away (quickly).

Its interesting that the professional diggers still use spades.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "