Magnets or not ?

manxfisher

Hello all.

Your expert opinions would be welcome on the topic of Penn 525 GS v Mag :D

I currently own a 525 mag, and am very happy with it - so much so that I am considering buying another. The intended use of the new reel is 25lb line for mixed/rough ground.

However, I am veering towards buying a GS version instead of another mag on the grounds of cost/value for money. The 525GS seems to retail for about £70, wheras the Mag now sells for £115.

Do you think the extra £45 is money well spent on the mag, or will the cheaper GS version be just as good :confused:

Thanks in advance :cool:

The GS is no where near the same for casting, My opinion is that you cannot compare the both,

The mag is superb for casting distance, 15lb line, Side winds the lot and its just unbirdnestable,

Downside is its not great for rough ground wit hheavier line as it hold very litle amount of line,

The GS is good when you dont need to cast as far, Can cast 100 yards when needed, ANd holds loads of heavy line, (I use 30-40lb for me cod fishin,

So you see 2 totaly 2 diffrent usages,

Perhaps you could compromise, In between the 2 you have the 535 GS with mag conversion

I think my next real will be a slosh 30 or 40, Ive heard good things

Shaun

Tight Lines

Shaun

Yup.... both 525 models are the same in spool size - one is black the other is anodised in a gold colour.

It would really depend on how far you need to cast with the 25lb line and how snaggy it was. If you went for the smaller reel sizes - 525, sl20sh, 6500...etc - then a couple of bad snags could lose you about half of the spool. The size of these reels only hold about 180 yards of 'standard' 25lb mono - unless you went for low diameter line.

Personally if i needed to fish heavier than 20lb over rough ground it would be 535, 7500ct, sl30sh etc. For maximum distance I would agree with spurhound - 535 mag.

I pondered this for nearly a year and because I wanted 2 reels the same opted for the GS.

I don't need to cast too far but I wanted a decent reel for beach work that I could also pull through the odd bit of kelp.

Two GS's at £70 = £140

One Mag at £115 =£115

Although I am English I have lived up here for 18 years so I can only assume I have picked up some local traits ;-)

Bob

Thanks all for replies so far.

Spur-hound, thanks for initially confusing me :)

Kenny, distance casting isn't an issue in this particular case. 25lb + 60lb leader and 20lb hook lenghts and rotten bottoms are the intended use (a set up which usually results in only a couple of lost leads/hooks per trip)

Bob, that's exactly where I am coming from.

Hopefully someone who has both reels will enlighten me in due course :)

I have both the reels.

In that case I wouldn't spend the extra on a mag reel - I would look at the 525Gs or sl20sh ( though slightly down on the 525 capacity ). Another reel that performs well is the 6500 (green elite) mag - though I wouldn't recommend it for constant use over mixed/rough ground

Any multiplier can be "tamed" using brake blocks/ oil and the right line profile and can be tuned for general fishing.

What the mag does for me over the GS is give ability to blast varying bait sizes at maximum power in changeble wind conditions without having to strip the reel down on every trip.

Good luck on your final choice :)