Small Boat Owners

Elton

Posted on behalf of Glen. Please add all replies to this thread:

Dear members,

I am a ex merchant seaman and I am a very keen sea angler. I have recently brought myself an old 17 foot domino sea boat which is quite a large re-fit project to say the least. Once I have got the boat seaworthy and also purchased an outboard engine I intend to use the boat for pleasure fishing. I am currently living in Bedfordshire which could not be any further from the sea. Although I have many years of deep sea experience unfortunately the majority of it was spent underwater in ships engine rooms. I am very keen to talk to members who have their own boats with the hope that they can give me some tips on boat keeping and seamanship skills for small boats.

Is there anyone out there who can offer me some advice?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

This is Salar's site, his book has a lot of knowledge in it, IF you can get your hands on a copy!

Just a thought Elton, why don't you ask Neville if you can ebook it. ;)

http://www.boat-angling.co.uk/

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

Glen,

I presume you will be towing your boat with a car or SUV of some sort. I tow my 17ft Dory with a Mondeo and would advise you to try and keep the total weight to under 750kgs as this will allow you to tow using an unbraked trailer. A braked trailer needs a lot more maintenance and has given me problems in the past. I once had to brake sharply and both drums seized on in the middle of a high street :huh:

There are a few ways to keep the weight low. One would be to use a two stroke engine rather than a four stroke as they are about 25% lighter. Another trick is to carry your auxilliary engine in the boot of the car instead of on the boat and store your petrol in the boot of the car as well.

IMG_0022.jpg

wildcard

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

this is a great little site for small boat owners (see link below)

http://westcountryboatfishi.forumotion.net/index.htm

called west country boat fishing or if you send me some blank cd,s i have 6 boat fishing docs thats worth a watch if you would like a copy of them m8

I have to sit down & work out where i stand ;)

this is a great little site for small boat owners (see link below)

http://westcountryboatfishi.forumotion.net/index.htm

called west country boat fishing or if you send me some blank cd,s i have 6 boat fishing docs thats worth a watch if you would like a copy of them m8

Hi Mate

That is very much appreciated, if you send me your address I will send the blank cd's, how many do you need/

Regards

Glen