air dried boilies

paul.saunders

hi all

decided to make some boiles today never made them before as i thought it would give me and my young son somthing to do. got a couple of recipies of web and said about air drying. I was wondering if anyone could give me any idea how long they keep and could they be frozen. the reason for asking is that we are going away bank holiday weekend and there is carp lake on site we are going to have a go at and wondered if they would last till then

thanks

[ 16. May 2005, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: paul.saunders ]

Regards

Paul.s

----------------------------------

Live for today as there might not be a tommorrow!!!

jp-tackle.co.uk

If you freeze them they last as long as you need to keep them, while frozen.

If you air dry them they last for ages, just leave them somewhere warm and dry or hang them in nets or tights to dry out completely.

Air drying is best if you are going for a couple of days as they tend to keep better. The frozen ones can go off if left out for too long.

The only real problem with air dried baits is they tend to go rock hard over a period of time, OK for loosefeed as they take on water and go soft again but you may need to drill them to mount them.

Mark

Thanks for your reply Mark. I've got them hanging in shed at the moment in an old landing net. I have noyiced that some of them have started to crack is that normal or am i doing somthing wrong. Iwonderd if i was not boiling them enough, Iwas giving them about 2mins

Regards

Paul.s

jp-tackle.co.uk

Evening Paul

What sort of boilies u using and what size have u rolled them?

2 mins is good for small sizes 10/14mm but 16+ better with 3mins+.Also did u make sure that when u made the paste you gave it 5/10 mins to settle! Differant base mixes i.e Birdfood/fisheals take on more moisture than most and require time to settle befor rolling and boiling.What could seam the right texture could soon dry out too quick hence the cracking.

As for air drying try and coat them in a fish oil this will stop them going rock hard all the way through

Hi good evening Dazler.

Got a recipie of the nett. used 200g each of maze semalina and ground down vitlin malasis and 6 eggs.

Wosn't aware i had to let it rest whoops. i had to roll them by hand (rolling kit on way) i would say they are no larger than 16mm.

just really getting into carp fishing with my yongest and love experimenting. any advice will be greatly recived

[ 16. May 2005, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: paul.saunders ]

Regards

Paul.s

jp-tackle.co.uk

I really don't want to discourage you Paul, but that is an appalling recipe. I would estimate it to be marginally more nutritious and attractive than wholemeal bread. Also, I certailnly wouldn't coat them in fish oil, as it will go rancid very quickly unless you add preservatives. If you really do need a very cheap bait, you would be far better off buying a ready made fishmeal-based base mix from Lucebaits (for instance). Bulk it out with extra semolina if you really must. Dilute a couple of tablespoons of Marmite in boiling water (only about 50/50), let it cool until only warm, then add it to your mix with about a teaspoon of olive oil - or any seed oil, even cooking oil, it is only to make them easier to roll. You won't need to add a flavour, in fact you are more likely to make it unpalatable if you do. Instead of adding fish oil to the mix, wait until you have dried the boilies out, then roll a day's supply around in a polythene bag containing about a tablespoon of fish oil, the morning/night before you go. Put them in a coolbox and they will have soaked it up and be ready to use by the time you want to use them.

There are probably thousands of possible ingredients, but try not to get too distracted with all that at this stage.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Thanks for the advice Peter.

As i said i got the recipie of the nett. Juat goes to show don't beleave everything you read. I think i will buy base mix for know until i can get some idea on doing my own.

Could i ask what you would put in to a base mix to give me a start.

The web page below is where i got info from. I also forgot to put down that i added robin red to the mix woul that make it more nutrious

web page here

any advice welcome

Regards

Paul.s

jp-tackle.co.uk

I agree with Pete about the base mix u used and forgot to mention the preservitive but pike oils which i get already contain the stuff

As for a few basic mixes have a look here at an older post. Dont give up on making your own bait you will soon get it sorted Paul :)

anglersnet.co.uk/ubb/ultimatebb...ic;f=4;t=001888

Daz

Peanut oil does not tend to go rancid but I think it's about the only one.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I had thought that peanut oil was the most dangerous of the whole lot, but I stand to be corrected. Don't get involved in making your own boilies. Your neighbours will file for an ASBO against you.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.