Make XP last longer . . . 2014

Sutton Warrior

. . . . Says 'Computer active' magazine.

Buying some petrol at morrisons spied the the front page (issue 284) of Computer active proclaiming 'Make XP Last Longer . . . untill 2014'. At £1.79p I thought I'd have a 'butchers', having just opted to stay with XP for the forseable future. Very interesting, although strangly nothing I did not know . . . thanks to you guys, the magazine advise was much along the same lines.

However, it does give an 'all XP drivers' free download: www.driverpacks.net/DriverPacks once down loaded they need an extraction program called 7-Zip which can be down loaded from: www.computeractive.co.uk/2128748

Aparently 'there be' all the back issue driver in there . . . might have saved my old 'puter' with them :doh: Verious other little hints and tips that make sence, as I say very much along AN advise lines.

The artical does say, MS are continuing to suport XP with service packs etc., untill 2014, origionaly, this was to cease April this year. An ineresting fact I did not know, Vista has a retro 'XP' option, as a look alike . . . or, revert to XP Pro option! that would have been a usefull bit of info??? The revert is only avaliable untill the end of January this year!

:g: Having given the matter considerable thought, befor and after I new these facts. I'm still happy to continue as I am . . . Vista will be 'old hat' by 2010 they say, aparently it was suposed to be with us in 2003!!! It was actualy released 2006, short, terbulent life?

Windows 7 is on the horizon, betas out now, release, late 2009 early 2010 . . .??? B) So whats the point in me fighting to learn Vista as a new 'OS', its unloved and out of date now? Its frustratingly hard work when you have dyslexia that affects the memory. The best way for me, continue for a couple or three years blisfully happy with my modern Dinasore called 'XP-asorus'. Then when 'Windows 7' is wowing every one in a few years, make the change. I suspect the new '7' system will work on anything curent, that can run 'Vista', they wont make that mistake again, will they? Then I have only one learning curve to negociate, might be semi retired by then, bit more time to grapall with the pros and cons of Windows 7. :rolleyes:

SW :icecream: cool . . .

. . . . Says 'Computer active' magazine.

Buying some petrol at morrisons spied the the front page (issue 284) of Computer active proclaiming 'Make XP Last Longer . . . untill 2014'. At £1.79p I thought I'd have a 'butchers', having just opted to stay with XP for the forseable future. Very interesting, although strangly nothing I did not know . . . thanks to you guys, the magazine advise was much along the same lines.

However, it does give an 'all XP drivers' free download: www.driverpacks.net/DriverPacks once down loaded they need an extraction program called 7-Zip which can be down loaded from: www.computeractive.co.uk/2128748

Aparently 'there be' all the back issue driver in there . . . might have saved my old 'puter' with them :doh: Verious other little hints and tips that make sence, as I say very much along AN advise lines.

The artical does say, MS are continuing to suport XP with service packs etc., untill 2014, origionaly, this was to cease April this year. An ineresting fact I did not know, Vista has a retro 'XP' option, as a look alike . . . or, revert to XP Pro option! that would have been a usefull bit of info??? The revert is only avaliable untill the end of January this year!

:g: Having given the matter considerable thought, befor and after I new these facts. I'm still happy to continue as I am . . . Vista will be 'old hat' by 2010 they say, aparently it was suposed to be with us in 2003!!! It was actualy released 2006, short, terbulent life?

Windows 7 is on the horizon, betas out now, release, late 2009 early 2010 . . .??? B) So whats the point in me fighting to learn Vista as a new 'OS', its unloved and out of date now? Its frustratingly hard work when you have dyslexia that affects the memory. The best way for me, continue for a couple or three years blisfully happy with my modern Dinasore called 'XP-asorus'. Then when 'Windows 7' is wowing every one in a few years, make the change. I suspect the new '7' system will work on anything curent, that can run 'Vista', they wont make that mistake again, will they? Then I have only one learning curve to negociate, might be semi retired by then, bit more time to grapall with the pros and cons of Windows 7. :rolleyes:

SW :icecream: cool . . .

SW

I have an ISO of the Windows 7 beta build 7000 installed on another disk so that I can have a a look. This is definitely what Vista SHOULD have been.

One can read more here

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2009/01/12/wi...ista-we-wanted/

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Vista stalled because the programmers were trying to release it with a totally new file structure design and kept thining they almost had it. They never did and finally release it.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Vista stalled because the programmers were trying to release it with a totally new file structure design and kept thining they almost had it. They never did and finally release it.
Vista is what happens when you let the marketing department decide the release date. Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

If windows 7 is as good looking and as efficient as Seven of Nine Then i will i will probably buy it :)

Edited by peterpikefisher

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

"Greatest thing since sliced bread"!!! . . . heard all this befor somewhere??? <_< excuse my scepticisim B) I'm going off liner now, new computer has just arived, complete with 'Windows XP' instaled. Speak again in a few hours . . . :huh: or will that be days? :o

SW

You might be almost as sceptical as me SW, but I doubt it. ;) I've installed the public beta of Windows 7, although at the moment I've not done much more that give the tyres a perfunctory kick. I'll say this though. If Vista had been as good as Windows 7 seems to be I'd be advising folks to install it.

You might be almost as sceptical as me SW, but I doubt it. ;) I've installed the public beta of Windows 7, although at the moment I've not done much more that give the tyres a perfunctory kick. I'll say this though. If Vista had been as good as Windows 7 seems to be I'd be advising folks to install it.

Thats fair enough 'corydorus', I am sceptical about most things new these days, nearly 62 years worth of water under the bridge, one gets sceptical :huh: . Ill be looking at W7 when W8 is on the horizon :P

Good news, this is the new computer!!! delivered by 8.30, had a problem with re instaling Virgin BB, but the guy at the other end of the phone wes very, very, patient and we got there, eventualy, my fault, if only I could spell :D

SW

Thats fair enough 'corydorus', I am sceptical about most things new these days, nearly 62 years worth of water under the bridge, one gets sceptical :huh: . Ill be looking at W7 when W8 is on the horizon :P

Good news, this is the new computer!!! delivered by 8.30, had a problem with re instaling Virgin BB, but the guy at the other end of the phone wes very, very, patient and we got there, eventualy, my fault, if only I could spell :D

SW

I was born a sceptic, I must have driven my parents crazy. Al kids ask why this, why that, few turn round and say 'That's not a very logical reason". I'm still running XP for day to day stuff, but ive a spare HD for my lappy with the Windows 7 beta. I can easily swap between the two systems, risk free.