Fishing In The Maldives

Elton

Posted on behalf of Neil. Please add all replies to this thread:

Hello everyone, i'm going on holiday to the madives (reethi island) at the beginning of march. has anyone been to the maldies and done any fishing,is it worth taking some gear out there? if so what sort? the resort has some organised trips but any tips would be very appreciated,

Many thanks,

Neil

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I was chatting to a guy a week or so ago who is involved in charters in The Maldives. I'll send him a link to this thread.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Well boss if it was me would just take spinning gear.Never fished there but I should imagine the main plan for the charter boats is big game fishing,in which case they should provide all the gear.

Just going on a hunch,based on my oz trip would try and book an inshore reef trip. Take a spinningrod/15 lb line and a variety of plugs/spinners/floats/hooks/artaficial bread - and a bait catapult.I assume there must be a mulet species there ?

Hope this helps :rolleyes:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

I was chatting to a guy a week or so ago who is involved in charters in The Maldives. I'll send him a link to this thread.

Hiya, A couple of years ago, I was asking the same thing, as my daughter was intending to go there to get married...but that got changed...anyway, seemingly, the water is VERy shallow close in, and the better fishing is done on charter boats, which I was told, aint cheap!!! :)

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

I was over there about 5 years ago. Shore fishing is banned from the tourist islands. I tried a sneaky spinning session with a telescopic rod I took with me, and got dobbed in to the island manager by some German tourists. Caught a couple of 'shiny' fish before they dragged me out :D

We did 2 boat trips from the island (Meeru) One was a 2 hour night session. Most others were given handlines, I used my rod. We all caught a few wrasse type species. We then had an early morning 'big game', trolling lures. Caught a couple of wahoo around 5-6lb, but the staff on the boat were a pain in the arse and insisted on pulling the line in for you, while you just reeled in the slack - they had no idea about what proper anglers might want.

My advice would be to buy a snorkel and mask and go out on one of the swimming trips at the far edge of the reef. To fin off from 3ft of water and look down as the reef drops vertically into hundreds or thousands of feet of dark blue water was quite an experience.