Yet more line advice!

jason.p

At the risk of going over ground which I'm sure has been covered before, can anyone recommend a low diameter line for waggler fishing (up to say 3AA) for use in a water holding fairly big carp. I'm assuming the low diameter would help casting, and general float control. I imagine a BS of 8-10Ib would be OK.

I've just tried using Fox Micro, and don't like it at all. It seems to coil up and leave loops that don't straighten out. I'm hoping there's something someone's used that's better.

I did a search for line advice, but couldn't find what I wanted, so if anyone can help, or direct me to a relevant thread, i'd be most grateful. Thanks :):)

As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler. Izaac Walton

One of the most important things for this kind of fishing is to use a line that sinks readilly. Few do so. Most float and so are better suited to fishing running water.

The reason is that if the line is on the surface your float may be dragged by the wind. Beneath the top few inches the water is likely to be moving in the opposite direction to the wind. The result is that the bait may be dragged in the opposite direction to what the fish expect, thus resulting in a lot less bites.

Up to a few years ago I'd have recommended Maxima or the seemingly identical Drennan Specimen Plus. The only difference is that 4lb Maxima seems to be 5lb Specimen Plus.

However both these have now been surpassed by a new generation of lines. My choice is Gold Label Pro Gold. See my field test at http://anglers-net.co.uk/reviews/progold01.htm

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Many thanks Steve. From your evaluation Pro Gold seems to be the line of choice. It's nice to get unbiased advice as there's such a bewildering choice of lines out there!

I always make a point of sinking the line where possible by over casting and winding back with the rod tip dipped, but with a readily sinking line this would be much easier, and not require such a long overcast.

Can't wait to give it a try!

Thanks again for your quick response :):):)

As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler. Izaac Walton